Power jack question on O2 build
Apr 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

haejuk

100+ Head-Fier
I am putting together parts to build an O2 amp and I found that one of the parts is already obsolete.  The power jack (Kobiconn #163-7620-E) is no longer made.  I searched around and found no one else has ever mentioned this before which makes me think I am probably just too inexperienced with builds to find an easy solution, but thought I would ask.  There is a possible replacement (Kobiconn #163-7620E-E), but that won't be shipping untill June 6th or so.

The point: Does anyone know of a 2.1mm pcb mounted power jack that will be able to replace Kobiconn #163-7620-E in an O2 build, preferably one that is in stock at Mouser?

Thanks.

Edit:  I got a PM recently asking about how I got a power jack.  I had to get one from JDS labs because at that time (around April) the replacement power jack was still a couple months out, I think it was supposed to ship around July and I didn't want to wait.  I think you can use Mouser part "163-7620E-E" as the replacement for this part.  This info is from JDS labs, so I assume it is what they are using right now.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 10
I started adding parts for the O2 amp to my Mouser cart yesterday, and ran into the same problem.

If you don't mind a 2.5mm jack, there is part #163-7625-E. It would need a matching AC-to-AC wall transformer. I am in the process of trying to find one.

One a related note, it looks like several other parts are backordered. I replaced the 12V regulator listed in the BOM (#863-MC7812ACTG) with part# 512-LM7812CT, but the potentiometer is backordered too (#688-RK09712200MC). Have you found a replacement for the pot?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 10
I was actually able to find a 2.1mm power jack.  JDS Labs helped me out with that.  After that I placed my Mouser order and ran into the batter connectors and pot being back ordered.  It was such a pain to find the right power jack that I just ordered all the parts and the backordered stuff will come when it comes.  I asked the guy who designed the amp about the power jack problem and he is looking into solutions for it as well.

I am assuming that I can at least run the amp plugged in until the battery connectors arrive?  Or are they needed to complete the power circuit?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the tip about JDS. I sent them a message.

Looking at the board, you should be able to run the amp without the battery connectors as long as the wall adapter can provide enough current.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 10
I ran into the same problem... sooooo....

There is also this option...

CUI PJ-002A

...which can be found at Digi-Key. I had to cut the leads a bit to fit it on the board. It works fine.

Cost me $2 or $3 extra. D'oh! Didn't want to wait til June. :wink:

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 10
Anyone know some places that sell front panels?  I don't really want the JDS labs front, and getting one made at front panel express is a little much.  I heard there were bamboo front panels and clear plastic front panels out there.  Where can I get those?

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 10
This guy aerohoff on the diy audio forums sells the Acryllic and bamboo panels. Here's a link to his forum topic

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/198536-fs-o2-headphone-amp-assembled-boards-9.html

You can see pics of the bamboo ones on page 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back