power hungry heaphone vs Low/high gain
Feb 16, 2014 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Law87

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys, I am currently running a Mad Dog hook up with a Nuforce MMP amp. My questions is since I am running this headphone, does it need to be in high gain? I am quiet content with the low gain setting as it push more than enough for volume level. Does High gain offer anything?

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 4
This type of question get asked on a regular basis on this forum and always puzzle me. If you use headphone it is very likely you have a pair of functioning ears so just use the setting that sounds best to you.
If you can't hear a difference just use the setting that allow finer volume  adjustment -lower gain.
On a properly designed amp with good gain structure  there shouldn't be any difference in SQ.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 4
  This type of question get asked on a regular basis on this forum and always puzzle me. If you use headphone it is very likely you have a pair of functioning ears so just use the setting that sounds best to you.
If you can't hear a difference just use the setting that allow finer volume  adjustment -lower gain.
On a properly designed amp with good gain structure  there shouldn't be any difference in SQ.

so gain is just simply for volume level? it doesnt push the detail of the sound?

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 4
With my amps changing resistor values/ratios to either increase or decrease circuit gain does not perceivably alter sonics, so long as R values are chosen to remain within component operating parameters of course.  Gain increases are almost always accompanied with a noise floor increase... but that depends on the headphones used and individual circuit, its not a unanimous or across the board thing.

Changing tubes or OP amps to higher gain equivalents however can result in different sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back