Power for x-can v.3?
Apr 21, 2006 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

russedelic

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I just bought a musical fidelity x-can v.3 amp for my AKG701s. I've checked other threads but can't really find an answer to this question:

How important is it for me to invest another 3-400 for the musical fidelity dedicated power supply? My amp isn't here yet, but I know it comes with some kind of wall wart. Does the extra investment really result in substantially better sound? Any colorful metaphors are welcome!

thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Having used the X-Can v3 with the PSU, I can say that an increase in dynamics and the quality of bass are the most obvious change.
Having said that, please do not expect a day and night improvement.
The price for both components together opens a whole new door to other amp choices.
I would recommend trying the amp with the wall wart to see if the sound signature suits you. Then decide if you want to take the plunge with the PSU.
If you have other X components to power, it makes buying the PSU much easier.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Mysticaldodo,

what all have you done? I know some tube rolling is in order, but I'd be very grateful if you fun your mods by me. I have an audiophile friend who can do all this stuff, if I just tell him what to do.

thanks in advance,

rr

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Mysticaldodo,

what all have you done? I know some tube rolling is in order, but I'd be very grateful if you fun your mods by me. I have an audiophile friend who can do all this stuff, if I just tell him what to do.

thanks in advance,

rr

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Do not waste your money on a new power supply. If you really want to bring the X-Can V3 to a new level visit PinkFloyd's website and do the mods he recomends. Then purchase a new set of matched russian tubes.

The amp will open up and be more detailed and punchy. I did it and my K701 sings!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 8
X-PSU is a prime time waste of money IMO. Fine and handy if you've got more than one X-ponent to power but "very" expensive for what it is.

What is it I hear you ask? Well, it's a bog standard toroidal transformer in a fancy case. Is that it? Yes, that's it! All the PSU smoothing etc. takes place "onboard" the V3 (and V2 and X-10D etc.) so please don't waste your money on a glorified wallwart in a fancy enclosure concentrate, instead, on the PSU board "inside" the V3 itself.

Mike.

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 8
It gave better dynamics and more control over bass for me. If you don't own any other small x serie products from Musical Fidelity, and are not planning to buy any, then it might not be worth 400. But it does improve the performance of the X-CANv3 so if you are willing to pay to improve your amp then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back