Power Cords and Ray Samuels XP-7 headphone amp?
Feb 22, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 7
Since the amp is relatively small in size, a heavy power cord may tilt the amp or weigh it down. I would just use an el cheapo cord that you may find at Staples or perhaps Radio Shack. Sometimes, the cheap generic stuff is really all you need for sonic bliss.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 7
No, that's no longer true - the amp changed it's mind, and now refuses to work without bling bling
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Hi
I have a new RSA XP-7. Power Cord suggestions? Ray used to suggest that nothing special was necessary. Is that still true?
Thanks
Jay

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Ray used to suggest that nothing special was necessary. Is that still true?

I was doing some research and decided to bump after asking Ray about power cables.

Ray Samuels:
I use "ELEMENT CABLE" on all my amps & am very happy & the cost is very little, around 50-60 dollars...

I'm probably going to try a lesser cord first and decide if I'm happy or not - I do think some of my unhappiness with sound in the past has been due to bad power so I may try it if I have suspicions it might help.

I know there's a lot of debate around cables, particularly power cables, but I'm going to take the approach of trying the cheaper one and replacing it if I think there's a problem. After all if I think think it could be a weak link so to speak and 60 is a relatively low percentage to what I've already sunk into this stuff...

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 7
The Pangea AC14 isn't bad if you want to experiment with calbes without going broke.

$30 for one meter.  14 gauge, high purity copper, heavy shielding.

You could also look for heavy duty 14/3 shielded power cables.  You might already have one around if you tinker with a lot of computers / electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back