Power cord suggestions?
Mar 6, 2007 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kpp80202

Head-Fier
I have an MG Head on the way that is set up to take a computer power cord, but isn't shipping with one. I see that a local Colorado supplier, Welborne Labs, has "fancy" ones them for about $60. Given the whole chain-weakest link idea is always present, what's an appropriate cord for the following set up:

laptop->Central Station DAC->ASL MG Head OTL MkIII->stock HD600->my ears

Radio Shack cord? Cheaper high-end cord? Welborne's cord? Thanks.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 24
It pains me to say this but I'd be very wary about dealing with Welborne Labs unless you can actually go to their place of business to pick up the cord. Have a look at this thread for more information.

I'd have a look around the FS forums and see if you can't pick something up used. You'll lessen your overall monetary exposure that way.

Best of luck,

Nate

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 24
Wow--I had no idea. I could stop in and get what I need, but I really don't want to support companies with poor PR. Thanks for the heads up.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 24
I didn't even know there was a shootout. My wife would defintely roll her eyes at all this... I'll search for it. Thanks.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 24
FWIW, I too was in the market for an aftermarket power cord. I ended up buying an Iron Lung Jellyfish and a Volex. After A/B'ing both, I decided I liked the Iron Lung over the Volex. They are both inexpensive and imho do the job very well. I believe paying more DOES NOT get you better sound. Just my two cents. One vote for the Jellyfish.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpp80202 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an MG Head on the way that is set up to take a computer power cord, but isn't shipping with one. I see that a local Colorado supplier, Welborne Labs, has "fancy" ones them for about $60. Given the whole chain-weakest link idea is always present, what's an appropriate cord for the following set up:

laptop->Central Station DAC->ASL MG Head OTL MkIII->stock HD600->my ears

Radio Shack cord? Cheaper high-end cord? Welborne's cord? Thanks.

Ah. You do have a DAC. Okay. Good.

On a related note, I purchased some power cords from Element Cable, ones for my amp and CD player. Not expensive. I didn't notice much difference when using the cord for my amp (although there are some very positive professional reviews on the site which say it makes a big difference) but the one for my digital source yielded an improvement. What that is exactly, I don't know. I just remember after having used it for some time, I thought one day that my system overall sounded better and that was the only change I had made to it.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 24
get the jellyfish power cords, or buy used. It not worth spending hundred of dollars on cords. I have, tried out some more affordable ones, and then sold my higher end cords. The only one i have heard that i believe make a huge difference is the nordost valhalla. Try out voodoo cable and shunyata venom.

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 24
Looks like Jellyfish is for me. As I said in the original post, I don't need the power cord to be the highest of the high end when my other stuff is the low end of high end. Thanks all for your thoughtful suggestions.

Now, where's the cheapest place to buy one Jellyfish? The site someone provided to me only had a 2-fer deal.

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Looks like Jellyfish is for me. As I said in the original post, I don't need the power cord to be the highest of the high end when my other stuff is the low end of high end. Thanks all for your thoughtful suggestions.

Now, where's the cheapest place to buy one Jellyfish? The site someone provided to me only had a 2-fer deal.

I think you can only buy as a pair, but Id be interested in the other one - We are both in CO, so if you decide to go with the Iron Lung send me a PM and maybe we can go in together. Ive been looking at these for my Headfive and maybe this is the perfect opprtunity...

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Patrick82--Can you give me some examples of what cords cause what colorations? Thanks!

1. Thinner cable makes it sound thinner with more detail. Thicker cable makes it sound heavier but it sacrifices detail.
  2. A too thin cable will give lack of dynamics without giving more detail. It will sound flat and lifeless. Problem is reduced when making the cable shorter.
  3. Air dielectric makes it sound smooth instead of harsh.
  4. Silver plating makes it more detailed with fake dynamics.
  5. Shield wrapped tightly around cable makes it bassy, muddy and heavy with loss of detail.
  6. Shield separated 2+cm from cable gives more bass, low-level detail and resolution.

PS Audio Statement (6awg + 4 shields) gives crazy heavy bass but it is slow and muddy.

Nordost Valhalla (3x16awg = 10-11awg) gives both heavy and fast bass. It sounds more detailed than a thinner cable because of the silver plating.
I modded the Valhalla thinner and it sounded brighter, thinner and more detailed. But wrapping it in ERS Paper solved the problem, it smoothened out the brightness which revealed even more detail. It also increased bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back