Power Cord question
Mar 1, 2002 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KShaft

100+ Head-Fier
Okay guys, ive got a cdp that i want to change from a stock power cord. Unfortunately its not modular.

So Im wonderin if its easier to get the cord for the player and install it permanately or actually mod it to accept modular cords.

My cdp is a sony x777es. Very high quality cdp. dont ask me why they neglected to make the cord not modular. its only flaw.

thanks for any input.

k.s.

Mar 2, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 6
I have done both mods to equipment and see the choice as such-
It is nice to install an IEC plug as it allows the easy removal of power cords if the gear is to be taken out of the system for any reason. Swapping out a player is much easier. You can also find IEC sockets with built in noise filters if you are so inclined. The down side is it is difficult to cut that hole and have it come out nice looking on the first attempt.
Some people believe that the permanent cord attachment option will be superior due the elimination of one more connection in the power path ( the IEC connector) and there for is the better choice.
Also be advised that making any mod to the equipment is generally going to ruin some of it's resale value. Some places will not trade in or buy modified equipment.

Mar 3, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Budgie.

Id probably "permanatley" attatch it as i just want a decent replacement compared to the stock so i get benefits of some wattgate outlets, and hopefully in the future a ps 300 or a bpt power conditioner.

how difficult would you say it was?

k.s.

Mar 3, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 6
That is kinda dependent on the players construction. The cord usually goes to a small board that has the fuses and such on it and the cord usually plugs into that board. I just removed that board and unsoldered the pins that the power cord plugged fit on, then soldered the new cord into those holes. The hardest part may be making a nice entry into the chassis for the new cord if it is different in shape from the original cord. I would grab that screw driver and take a look before buying a new power cord, just in case it looks like something you decide you don't want to tackle.

Jul 10, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 6
I made a gilmore amp and that involves making a rectangular hole at the back. Let's just say drilling those all the holes (hardest is the one for the IEC socket) is harder than making the actual amp.

In your case, you need to remove all the PCBs as you don't want bits of metal shorting those PCBs.

I'm not trying to scare you but you have to consider if making that hole outweighs the relative ease in just replacing the stock cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back