Power cord plug question
May 15, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

riddley

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a power cable in the European Quail group buy, but because I'm in Australia I would need to use an adapter to make the plug fit our sockets.

Does using an adapter have a negative effect on the power? Is it worth using an upgraded cable if the power has to run through the adapter? I don't fully understand the theory behind power cords and I'm not sure what effect, if any, the additional adapter would have.

May 15, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 7
Honestly, I am EXTREMELY skeptical of upgraded power cords. The nominal variations in line voltage and power quality are going to be orders of magnitude greater than any effect even the crappiest power cord has. I can't concieve of any realistic situation in which an upgraded power cord would have any effect.

May 17, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by riddley
I'm thinking of getting a power cable in the European Quail group buy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alereon
Honestly, I am EXTREMELY skeptical of upgraded power cords.

Hey, it would be a couple of $ only... I am a bit skeptical on how much improvement a power cable can bring... but I would give it a chance for this price
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alereon
Honestly, I am EXTREMELY skeptical of upgraded power cords. The nominal variations in line voltage and power quality are going to be orders of magnitude greater than any effect even the crappiest power cord has. I can't concieve of any realistic situation in which an upgraded power cord would have any effect.

The important things I think I get when I upgrade powercords are better plugs & better sheilding. Plus if you use a long power cord for your application, going with a bigger gauge wire will surely help.

May 18, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes, The best electrical connection will always be the one w/o an adaptor. But if your adaptor is well built, I think the negative effects will be very minimal.

May 19, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

But would having a adapter (European plug <-> Australian plug) in between the power plug and the wall socket negate the advantages of a better plug?

No, provided that the plug is adequately made and making proper contacts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back