Power cord for Woo Audio amps??
Aug 23, 2009 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy my first separate amp, and I've narrowed down my search to the Woo Audio 6 or Woo Audio 2, mostly due to the good comments here.

But why do these not amps not come with power cords?? Is this typical for amps? I swear this is the first electronic consumer device I've seen that doesn't come with one. Why? Do the expect that their customers have their own "audiophile"-grade power cords? Just curious.

That said, where can I buy a power cord now? Is there a particular model or prong that I need? I live in the US and would prefer to buy from Newegg or Amazon if someone can tell me what I should be looking for in a power cord. Cheap but good is always nice.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 23
For all the Headamps that I owned, no of them comes with a power cord. It is best that you choose what you like and budgeted. I was using a DIYed Volex 17616 Cable with SINE Cryo IEC Female Plug and Cryo MK Hospital Plug previously and now a Black Rhodium Jazz Super Mains Cable with SINE Cryo IEC Female Plug and Cryo MK Hospital Plug.

You may find some good value cables here at the For Sale section.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 23
I'm using Soundstring with WA2.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 23
I didnt really see Woo's lack of a power cord as a problem - I thought everyone had a dozen of these things lying around

Just a simple IEC->Wall cord like youd have with a computer power supply works just fine

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 23
I use a cheap 14 guage IEC cord for my Woo. I find it hard to believe that expensive power cords can make a difference in SQ with an amp that draws less than 1 amp.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 23
HCM audio has been offering a pretty good deal on some 2.3m Audioquest AC 15 power cords. Unlike many other "cheap" PCs these have an RF filter. I've been using one with my WA6 and am pleased.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 23
What kind of PC "power cord" am I looking for? Should it have 3 prongs on both the female and male ends? Like this?

Newegg.com - CABLES UNLIMITED 6 ft. Shielded AC UL Power Cord Model PWR-1000-06 - Cables

12-339-139-01.jpg

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 23
I have been using a Woo 5 LE from Jan on as my main rig. I also use Woo 3 as a bedroom amp. Even at 350 plus hr burn in on the Woo 5 LE I have times when it sounds way better than normal. Maybe once every two weeks. I have tried my best to find out why. At first I thought I could get there with an extended warm-up. I left it on for 4 hrs. Do not get me wrong my amp and system sounds great. Just that geting a sample of pure audio bliss once in a while has sent me down the road to make it be stable all the time. The only thing I can think of would be the Ac power. That makes me want to try power filters. Maybe there is something to these Gucci power cords.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 23
I use the lead off an old kitchen kettle i found in the garage,on my Little Dot 1+,and it sounds the same as a £100 one i swapped from my main system,methinks i wuz robbed.
confused.gif
beware of snake oil!!!!!

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 23
when I bought my WA6 a couple of years ago a lot of people recommended the Volex 17604, so that's what I got and that is what I'd recommend. It costs about 10-15 bucks shipped I believe.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back