Power conditioner or new Power cord
Aug 12, 2003 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SENOR4Q

100+ Head-Fier
Seeing as how either one will cost me about the same amount of money (~$100). Which would give me better sound? I could maybe swing 2 cords, 1 for the cdp and one for the amp

ie:
Monster HTS1000/2000 or magic power cords for cdp and amp.

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 21
This would depend if you really needed power conditioning on your line. I would investigate that first before I punk $ into powere cords. AC power cords should be more towards a last end tweak.

Aug 13, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 21
you could mod that m-audio card instead with some 8620's and make it ten times better sounding .... m-audio revo with 8620's its so good it stays crunchy in milk....

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 21
The effectiveness of power conditioner is depended natually on how clean does your power line is. If you could, borrow the power conditioner back home to see whether there is audible differences, otherwise better power cable is the way to go

Aug 14, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 21
On the flipside of the posts so far, I've read many accounts of Virtual Dynamics power cables where the users sell off their expensive power conditioning because the power cable does as good or better job by itself. Search around here, and especially on AudioAsylum - I'm not makin' this up
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Aug 14, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 21
The signalcable power cords are supposed to be very good for the money. By all acounts I have read, better than the VD power 3 and just about anything else below $100. As for spending more than that on a PC, I wouldn't. I understand that better PC's give you better results but no where near at the level of better interconnects, the price performance ratio on PCs is absurdly overrated and I doubt anyone will say anything to the contrary. Why spend as much money on a PC as on a IC when one can spend double on an IC and get better sound. Just an opinion.

Aug 14, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by SENOR4Q
As for spending more than that on a PC, I wouldn't. I understand that better PC's give you better results but no where near at the level of better interconnects, the price performance ratio on PCs is absurdly overrated and I doubt anyone will say anything to the contrary. Why spend as much money on a PC as on a IC when one can spend double on an IC and get better sound. Just an opinion.

rolleyes.gif

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 21
"I understand that better PC's give you better results but no where near at the level of better interconnects, the price performance ratio on PCs is absurdly overrated and I doubt anyone will say anything to the contrary."

yeah....right....there is absolutely no controversy about interconnects......

and what planet are you from????????

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 21
I've actually found that adding a good power cord such as the Virtual Dynamics stuff to *certain components* can have even more positive effect than upgrading ICs.
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 21
markl

would that be to power hungry amps that need the extra flow, or to cd palyers that needed the shielding? Just curious as to where they have worked best for you. Also, is it true upgraded pc's are the best way to get better bass?

Aug 15, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 21
You know you'd think big fat power cords would make the most difference on big power amps, but "conventional wisdom" seems to be that digital sources in particular benefit most. My experience, which is far from exhaustive, seems to bear this out.

Most hi-end power cord makers seem to want you to plug them straight into the wall, by-passing power conditioners. However, I feel I need the surge suppression, so I use a Monster PB1100, about as cheap a power conditioner as I think one should mess with to avoid doing more harm than good. I used to own a Monster HTS5000 and the lowly PB1100 is nearly as good and cheap peace of mind, probably $150 on the net. All my positive results with power cables were with them plugged into one or the other Monster power conditioners.

Mark

Aug 15, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 21
the best low cost surge protection available is the tripplite isobar line.....

and the side benefit is that all of the isobars provide some of the best noise reduction available under several hundred dollars.... up to 80 db of noise reduction.... the same kind of numbers that you see in high end panamx and monster power units....

http://tripplite.com/products/suppressors/isobar.cfm#4

Aug 15, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 21
When you're playing in the ultra high end field there's actually a lot more guys who would say that powercords made the biggest difference relative to interconnects. There's a lot of people who believe once you're power is good everything will sound good.

Anyways for $100 there's not that many options that will give you a dramatic affect. I have a PS Audio Prelude. I think it's nice. Doesn't do all that much though. FOr headphone amps "powerconditioners" can help filter out some brightness but you might not like the filtering. I would probably just get a powercord unless you have horrible power then I would try the Monster so you can plug your source in it too. You'll probably "choke" the sound because of it but it still might be the best option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back