Power cables recommendation needed
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 24
Wow an Eleven year necro O.o

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 24
Buy some decent plugs online. Go to your local homedepot and buy some cheap bulk 14, 12, and 10awg 3 wire power cable. All the gauges will sound different, and stick with the one you like best. The wire is easy to swap, no soldering. The gauge makes the biggest difference in sound. I prefer 12 on my tube amp. Expensive power cables that aren't optimized for your specific equipment is such a waste of money.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #18 of 24
Buy some decent plugs online. Go to your local homedepot and buy some cheap bulk 14, 12, and 10awg 3 wire power cable. All the gauges will sound different, and stick with the one you like best. The wire is easy to swap, no soldering. The gauge makes the biggest difference in sound. I prefer 12 on my tube amp. Expensive power cables that aren't optimized for your specific equipment is such a waste of money.
But nowhere do you mention the importance of shielding on all power cables - a huge omission.

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #21 of 24
Can anyone watching this thread tell me when I'm looking for power cables and power filtering/conditioning whether headphone amps require such things marked as "high current"? For example, I've seen power cables that are meant for line level equipment and others for power amplifiers, but I feel like a head amp is somewhere in between. A dealer told me line level is fine, but he didn't really have anything to back that up. Thoughts?

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 24
Can anyone watching this thread tell me when I'm looking for power cables and power filtering/conditioning whether headphone amps require such things marked as "high current"? For example, I've seen power cables that are meant for line level equipment and others for power amplifiers, but I feel like a head amp is somewhere in between. A dealer told me line level is fine, but he didn't really have anything to back that up. Thoughts?
Technically there is no such thing as "high current" cables, that's just Marketing.
Both are fine for a headamp, in the sense that they work.
Soundwise it's personal preference, it could very well be that you prefer the sound of the Power cable meant for the line level equipment or even prefer the "high current" cables on your line level equipment.

The only thing you need to pay attention to is the connector.
Wether it is a regular C13/C14 or the rectangle shaped C19/20 for high current applications.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #23 of 24
Thanks! Does the same thing apply to the high current outlet on my PP3? Just personal preference whether my head amp is plugged into a high current outlet or a regenerated outlet?
Technically there is no such thing as "high current" cables, that's just Marketing.
Both are fine for a headamp, in the sense that they work.
Soundwise it's personal preference, it could very well be that you prefer the sound of the Power cable meant for the line level equipment or even prefer the "high current" cables on your line level equipment.

The only thing you need to pay attention to is the connector.
Wether it is a regular C13/C14 or the rectangle shaped C19/20 for high current applications

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #24 of 24
Thanks! Does the same thing apply to the high current outlet on my PP3? Just personal preference whether my head amp is plugged into a high current outlet or a regenerated outlet?
I have to fact check this to make sure but if I recall correctly the only difference on the high current outlets is, that you can switch them to "filtered" on the back of the device.

In Filter Mode, as the Name implies the power does not get regenerated but only filtered.
The result is usually "worse" than Regeneration but it can provide a lot more power (2-3x as much) when only filtering.
No matter on which setting the device is set on,the "low current" outlets are always regenerated.
Also "worse" means the power is less clean, however power distortion can bring a "fuller sound", so it might be a matter of preference.

I personally prefer all outlets to be regenerated.

The connector that you have to pay attention to is on the device you want to connect they either need the C13/C14 or C19/C20.
And it's easily distinguishable from their shape.
The connector thst goes into the pp3 is always the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back