Power Cables or Conditioner
Nov 7, 2002 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Which should be done first, upgraded power cables or some type of AC conditioner/filter? I'm thinking fix the AC first?

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 4
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Which should be done first, upgraded power cables or some type of AC conditioner/filter? I'm thinking fix the AC first?

[/size]In my experience (I had fairly "dirty" power), I didn't experience sonic gains with any of the boutique power cords until I added my power conditioning units (Brickwall followed by BPT dual balanced power isolator). Plugged into the BPT (which is plugged into the Brick Wall), power cord changes have been more apparent in my rig.

The one cord I've been able to detect sonic differences with, independent of any power conditioning, is the Cardas Golden Reference power cord, and that was both into DACs as well as my amps.

As far as degree of change goes, I've noticed more changes, and been able to more reliably extract improvements, with interconnect changes than power cord changes.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 4
Six feet of fancy cable plugged into an outlet is a little silly, especially if the power is worse than usual.

PS Audio 300! Buy one! It's the biggest single audible difference in my system - the power in my building is _really_ bad. The UPS triggers a couple of times a day at least - maybe yours isn't as bad, but I think it's really worthwhile.

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 4
Try a line conditioner first..I just picked up a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, and it really does make a difference; my old Brick Wall unit didn't, but then again, it's a surge protector first and foremost..

- Wasif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back