Power cables and computers
Sep 1, 2004 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Captain

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

Could any body tell me if a good HiFi power cable plugged in to my computer, will improve the sound quality of the sound card. Can do it on HiFi separates so it got me a wondering.

Thanks

Cap

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 6
It would probably have less effect on the sound quality because the power still has to go through the wires inside your computer (which are connected to other devices that pollute the ground) and the traces on your motherboard before they get to your soundcard.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Get some power conditioning first before a power cord. If you want a power cord, use it on in your amp first.

I don't believe your equipment is at the level where you'd notice a difference of a powercord on a computer.

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm waiting for someone to modify a PSU with some silver wiring.

If you were real serious about this, you could use a dedicated PC Power and Cooling PSU for just the soundcard. Only problem is, many of us would have trouble affording one for the other components to begin with.

My next PSU I'm making modular... I'm considering replacing every wire just to see. I wonder what it'd do for performance. I'm always amazed that overclockers always use stock power, I wonder how much better a great conditioner and power cable would help.

Sep 2, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau
I'm waiting for someone to modify a PSU with some silver wiring.

If you were real serious about this, you could use a dedicated PC Power and Cooling PSU for just the soundcard. Only problem is, many of us would have trouble affording one for the other components to begin with.

My next PSU I'm making modular... I'm considering replacing every wire just to see. I wonder what it'd do for performance. I'm always amazed that overclockers always use stock power, I wonder how much better a great conditioner and power cable would help.

That poor power supply, with an ATX supply you'd have to simulate load on the other rails or else it'd be dead in no time! Switching power supplies (non-linear) are very noisey no matter what you do to the thing. I tend to recall linear power supplies that fit into 5.25" bays quite a few years back, meant to power nothing but the TEC (peltier) in your system -- that might be an option, though you'd have to modify your motherboard to not send power to that PCI slot, yet still somehow communicate with it. Maybe Macci at xtremesystems has the balls?
rolleyes.gif

Most ATX supplies do quite a bit of voltage regulating themselves. PC Power and Cooling makes a great supply, if you're looking at it on a multimeter, but you hook a scope up to it... and the dirty truth comes out. OCZ, (older) Sparkle, and Fortran are the cleanest supplies.

I've noticed no difference in overclocking performance since setting up various line regulation in my house. I have Wattgate 381's for all of my plugs with computer equipment and A/V equipment, and I use Leviton or something green dot "pro-grade" plugs from Lowes on everything else. I replaced the circuit box in this house with a more robust one (I used to be 15A, I'm 20A now), I rewired everything with 12AWG copper to my server room and listening room specifically, 14AWG everywhere else, I have AC filters on every piece of equipment that turns on and off (refridgerator, washer/dryer), etc etc etc... and then I have a CyberPower 1500AVR per computer system here... granted I have not replaced the power cord on any of my power supplies, but come on - how much could it really matter to a switching pile of crap?
icon10.gif
I have perceived changes in my audio performance, thinking maybe the highs opened up, but I have no way of measuring it. ZERO CHANGE (and believe me, I've tried...) has happened in overclockability of any system. I only have one system (well, other than the Sun, but that isn't exactly something I'd overclock) that isn't on water, and that's a P4 2.4 with a Zalman CNP7000CU heatsink, that's currently Prime95x2 stable for a week at 3.2GHz, and typically stable to most on [H]ard|Forum at 3.4GHz (no offense meant to the community - but I have seen far too many posts of "stable enough to not crash games I play, it's stable"). I use crappy Koolance EXOS though, so who knows. I blame ATX power supplies, crappy IC's, and low quality control!!! Some day I need to look into vapochill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back