Power cable upgrade for laptop = waste of money???
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yates7592

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of upgrading the power cables in my system which simply comprises:

External hard drive > Laptop > HQ Player > DAC > Amp > Cans

So my question is which of these would benefit (at all) from swapping out a stock power cable to a 'boutique' variety? I'm already 100% committed on the amp and DAC as that makes sense to me (correct me if I'm wrong). But I have 2 questions:
1. The laptop feeds my DAC via USB and as I understand it audio data via USB is transmitted real-time, not as bulk files, so I'm thinking that the laptop might benefit, even a little, from a power cable upgrade - is this correct?
2. The external HD - I assume this would make no difference, correct?

One further thought. The power cables will be the same type as my existing USB cable, interconnects and headphone cable, so I'm expecting / hoping there will be a certain synergy / added benefit in the overall system once the same type of power cords are inserted. Should this influence my decision on either of 1 or 2 above? If I can realise an extra 5% SQ then I'm happy to pay for the upgrades.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 7
I think any change can produce different sound, but in this case it might be very little.
I am using a totally fanless Intel Atom based PC and it did get noticeable sound improvements. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 7

while it's understandable that you might think that - but alas that's not how a laptop's power delivery works.

Power deliver on a laptop with a battery plugged in works like so:

AC - Power Brick - Laptop Battery Circuit - Laptop Battery - Laptop components.

The battery works like a capacitor, i.e. it stores energy like a chest and deals it out continuously as the laptop pulls it out. The only way to improve power delivery stability to your laptop would be to improve that circuit. However, the improvement in audio quality from more stable power delivery would be non existent as the data going to your DAC is digital (a DAC being Digital - Analogue), and hence pretty much only exists in two states - working, or not.

Analogue signal is different and benefits from stable power delivery. It's a nice idea though, I'd advise just buying a nicer pair of cans or a better DAC or amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back