power cable recommendation ??
Jul 20, 2003 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I have recently read on this forums that an aftermarket PC will make some huge difference with my amp? I have a gilmore v2 amp, and it sounds great with the regular cheapo powercable i pulled off a computer PSU, and now I am considering these powercables, which cost a fortune!! I have no idea where to even look, does anyone have any recommendations for this stuff? THanks.

Jul 20, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by mjg
Hello, I have recently read on this forums that an aftermarket PC will make some huge difference with my amp? I have a gilmore v2 amp, and it sounds great with the regular cheapo powercable i pulled off a computer PSU, and now I am considering these powercables, which cost a fortune!! I have no idea where to even look, does anyone have any recommendations for this stuff? THanks.

First off, power cables will make more of a difference on a Source component than an amp (so perhaps start there). Second, I would start out with some cheaper cables such as Virtual Dynamics lower end or Signal Cables Magic power cord. These come highly recommended at very reasonable prices.

-dd3mon

Jul 20, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a real good power supply in my computer, (m audio card is my source) I use a PC power and cooling 425 ATX, which has a built in line conditioner... If this helps at all. Do you think a fancy cable is going to make a difference here? My other source is my technics table, and I cannot replace the cord on there. Perhaps I should just wait until I get a better source to worry about this stuff? I'll think about that more practical cable like you said, I won't spend 100 dollars on the power cable, to me that seems insane, for right now.

Jul 20, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm just going to give that magic power one a shot, they said I can return it if I don't like it. I can't imagine why these things make such a huge difference!?

Jul 20, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 8
i don't mean to turn this into a cable debate...but i was wondering what the general consensus on these boards is on power cables. do most head-fiers believe in them making an audible difference? i'm pretty new to this board, but i've been over at the hometheaterforum for a while and they generally are the non-believer type.

Jul 20, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by princeclassic
i don't mean to turn this into a cable debate...but i was wondering what the general consensus on these boards is on power cables. do most head-fiers believe in them making an audible difference? i'm pretty new to this board, but i've been over at the hometheaterforum for a while and they generally are the non-believer type.

You'll find various opinions even here on head-fi. I am a believer in power cords - though I also believe that, in general, interconnects and speaker cable have a more noticeable effect. Personally, I find that PC's make a more significant difference on source components, as dd3mon suggested, than on power amplifiers.

mjp,

You might also consider building one yourself. I don't know how much the magic one costs but the DIY Bob Crump Asylum PC costs about $35 to build. If you don't want to solder you can substitute Marinco for the Shurter connectors, but that also increases the cost to around $55-$60. I've build one myself and found a small, but noticeable, difference.

Jul 20, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 8
mjg,
While I am definitely a proponent of aftermarket power cables (and I always scoffed at them til I tried one), in your case, IMO, cabling is the smallest bang for the buck. I'd suggest save that money and save up for a stand-alone CDP, members here can help with that pourchase. Also, I assume you listen chiefly to mp3s. Upgrading to CDs on your favorite artists/albums (provided they are recently re-mastered) is the best, biggest bang for your buck if improving sound is your goal. Over time, you will develop a collection of CDs that is worthy of a decent source. Then, only then worry much about power cables. Cheers.

Mark

Jul 20, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 8
As usual, my compulsion lead me to ordering them, without thinking it out first! I guess this power cable will work well, when I do upgrade my source... I'd consider a CD player, later this summer, I need to make some more dough first though : ]

My last gig paid off this new stuff I just got pretty well, if it weren't for school right now, I could be rolling with you crazy guys with all that expensive gear! Ah well, I want a degree though.

I won't allow myself to consider a cd player, at the momment, so I refuse comments, otherwise I will be hurting my wallet and mind wondering waht to get!

Thanks for the infos guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back