power amp (Tube, SS or Digital?)
Jan 2, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 24
I would probably skip the digital amps, as good as they are, if you are truly willing to spend up to $2500, especially used. Personally, I would build an AKSA power amp just to check it out.

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 24
There are literally dozens of great amps in that price range. If the sub input filters out the lowest frequencies, then your power requirements are not all that high. A Pass 3 or 30 might be a good choice, 30 WPC Class A (so it will run hot), but very highly regarded. Another great SS choice would be a McCormack DNA 0.5, modded by SMcAudio to Rev. A+ status. 100 wpc, really sweet sounding SS amp that runs pretty cool. A used regular unit would set you back about $600, and the upgrades another $1200-$1500 or so. Any Steve McCormack, the original designer is available at SMc and very approachable regarding advise. There are some Canary Audio discontinued 300b push-pull units on sale on Audiogon for about $1750, less the 300bs. It needs 4, so you might be topping out, $ wise, but that should be a very nice sounding unit. You might try posting on Audiogon; more folks there up on speaker/amp interactions.

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampwalker
There are literally dozens of great amps in that price range. If the sub input filters out the lowest frequencies, then your power requirements are not all that high. A Pass 3 or 30 might be a good choice, 30 WPC Class A (so it will run hot), but very highly regarded. Another great SS choice would be a McCormack DNA 0.5, modded by SMcAudio to Rev. A+ status. 100 wpc, really sweet sounding SS amp that runs pretty cool. A used regular unit would set you back about $600, and the upgrades another $1200-$1500 or so. Any Steve McCormack, the original designer is available at SMc and very approachable regarding advise. There are some Canary Audio discontinued 300b push-pull units on sale on Audiogon for about $1750, less the 300bs. It needs 4, so you might be topping out, $ wise, but that should be a very nice sounding unit. You might try posting on Audiogon; more folks there up on speaker/amp interactions.

Thanks (to all actually) for taking the time to write a thoughtful response. Much appreciated.
I'll do a bit more research.
CPW

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 24
I doubt that many cone-based speakers could make the HCA-2 break a sweat unless taken well into insanely loud territory. The VSA VR-1's definitely would not cause any problems with this amp. If you had electrostatic / ribbon / quasi ribbon / planar or other speakers which have more challenging loads for amps, you'd probably be better off with SS amps, I'd look for recommendations on audiogon, where this topic has and does come up often in regards to all the varieties of stats / planars.

I really like the sound of the Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks, although they are quite expensive (haven't heard the A23, but if it shares some of the sound qualities of the monos, I'd heartily recommend it.)

In the under $1000 used category (that I've heard) for dynamic speakers , I'd recommend:
- Odyssey Stratos w/ factory cap upgrades
- PS Audio HCA-2
- McCormack DNA 0.5 with SMC mods
or DNA-1 Deluxe (I think the SMC mods on the DNA-1 might cross the $1000 mark)
- Sim Audio Celeste Amps
- Bel Canto Evo Amps

I've heard positive things about other amps, but I'll limit my comments to things I've heard. There are many very good Tube amps that could also fit a <$1000 budget, but I'll leave those recommendations for others.

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #22 of 24
Howdy,

I'll weigh in here. I've never heard VonSchweikert speakers, but I can recommend a few amps to check out.

I would have to agree with the McCormack DNA .05. I owned one and had it upgraded to rev.A and it was simply terrific. I wish I had never sold it.

The Blue Circle CS integrated is a fab little amp. Cheap too.

The Manley Stingray is a terrific amp with lots of tubey power and bass.

IF you can find one, an old Audio Prism Debut Mk II tube amp is killer.

I don't know if they have one that will drive 89 db or not, but the new Yamamoto amps are suppose to be excellent. They come in kits or completely built. Check them out at the exclusive US dealer: Venus Hi-Fi at www.venushifi.com. I have just reviewed their preamp and it is a fantastic value. Brian also has Almarro amps which are low cost tube amps that have gotten lots of positive press lately.

Just some ideas...
Good luck!

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 24
Jungson 88d. I have the baby brother, class A/B 88c. It is surprisingly good at $399. The 88d is the hefty Class A older brother. 80wpc.

The 88d got a rave in Bound For Sound, in who's ears I generally trust. I have also read of two other accounts similar in style. This integrated amp will give this hyped VK Design amp a run for its money. Do a search on audio asylum as well. And list is only $1500.

Whatever the case, lots of luck.

Jan 10, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #24 of 24
Just had an offer accepted for a clean Audio Research VS55. I really wanted to try a tube power amp even though it may not be the cheapest/ most practical for my room.
I'm really excited to hear how it sounds in my system.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back