power amp (Tube, SS or Digital?)
Jan 1, 2005 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
I need power aplification for my speaker system and am having a hard time narrowing down the choices.
I really have been leaning toward tubes but am wondering if I should consider SS or a digital switching amp.
Downside of tubes for me is that it'll require more space and moving my power amp across the room which will necessitate a long interconnect run. I'm ok w/ that and w/ the "unreliabilty" of tubes. The main thing that worries me about tubes is the heat. Small room, hate being hot.
SS runs cooler (or does it?) and usually offers better bass control. I don't know if bass thing matters for me too much as I have a high-quality, SS powered Sub in my system. Space is a plus (function of lower heat).
I've heard great things about digital amps but have never heard one and don't have any local dealers for an audition.
I've got my tube candidates pretty much worked out but if anyone has input for me on cooler running tube amps, SS or T class candidates, I'd love to hear it.
System= Philips 963SA/Meridian 508.20/VPI Scout>Stealth>???>VonSchweikert VRS1 + VR1.
Thanks,
CPW
PS Will consider new or (more likely) used. Probably $1000-$2500.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 24
Why not try a hybrid amplifiers (tube/SS)?
Tube will soften the sound, and SS will give you ample power and bass.
Blue Circle offer some hi-end hybrid amps.
My personal expereince with Jolida hybrid amp is very positive.
I use the 30Wpc JD301 ($350), but you might consider JD1501 ($650) to get 100Wpc.
My experience with class-T amp from Sonic Impact ($30) is also very positive. I was really blown away by its performance. But SI has only 6Wpc, and I don't know if other bigger class-T amps sound as good as SI.
You can read my full review of SI here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99359

Jan 1, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
My personal expereince with Jolida hybrid amp is very positive.
I use the 30Wpc JD301 ($350), but you might consider JD1501 ($650) to get 100Wpc.

It looks like the Jolida are integrateds but I'd prefer a power amp only.
I'll take a look at the Blue Circle.
Thx,
CPW

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 24
cpw you might shoot a PM to Tuberoller. I know he has been trying different components in a setup he has and his requirements were very similar to yours. One nice thing about my tube amp this time of year is that it definitely takes the chill out of a room.

Jan 1, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 24
Tubes did give me some sugggestions for tube amps. I just can't decide if that's the right thing for that room. I wonder if something w/ fewer tubes (i.e. Rocket 88R) might put out less heat than say Rogue M-120 Magnum monoblocs or SixPacs and be a bit more tolerable in my small room from a thermal standpoint.
Most of the SS amps I've had ran very cool (except my Marantz HT receiver)but a friend's runs smokin' hot. I also once had a Sony amp that was great for keeping quesadillas warm.
I've heard the digital stuff runs very cool but don't really know what to expect from a sonic standpoint.
Thx,
CPW

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 24
I would consider, in your price range, Odyssey gear - SS gear. Great owner (Klaus Bunge) and product - tons of wonderful reviews. Product/price performance seems second to none. You can check out related threads and information at Audio Circles, at the Odyssey Website (the Mexican Odyssey site may be even more informative/better pictures re: monos/Extreme Monos, etc.), at Audio Reviews.com, and elsewhere online.

I have found it is best to talk with Mr. Bunge personally, and call him after 6 p.m. - he works late into the evening. Oh, almost forgot to mention that for all the power the Odyssey amps put out, they run extremely cool to the touch.

I too like the sound of tubes/analog, and use a tubed Jolida JD-100 cdp in my system. With the Sylvania Gold Label JHS 5751WA triple mica blackplates, I get the best of tube sound I'm looking for, combined with the positive SS attributes the Odyssey Tempest preamp and cap-upgraded Stratos amp (FYI - if you also like vinyl, the Tempest preamp's phono (MM/MC) section is wonderful - I don't know how Klaus can make any profit on such great gear at the prices he charges.) Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Best of luck with your decision making!

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 24
I just bought a PS Audio HCA-2. It is a digital amp and goes for about $1000 now. My amp is not much burned-in yet but it sounds good already. Not warm and smooth as tubes but not harsh either, and clear and spacious sounding. I think it is very good for the money. It runs cool, lukewarm at most on the cover.

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
I just bought a PS Audio HCA-2. It is a digital amp and goes for about $1000 now. My amp is not much burned-in yet but it sounds good already. Not warm and smooth as tubes but not harsh either, and clear and spacious sounding. I think it is very good for the money. It runs cool, lukewarm at most on the cover.

I was looking at that one. It's great to hear from someone who has one.
The price and operating temperature are certainly in its favour. I'd love to hear if it changes much w/ break in. I bet not too much.
Where did you buy yours?
CPW

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 24
CPW,

I know low-heat output is a top priority of yours but I still think you can go with a tube amp. I really like the Audio Reseach VS series amps. They sound amazing and run 'warm" but not nasty hot like some of the Cary amps I recommended before. I also like the Conrad-Johnson MV-50. I had one and loved it to death. I traded it for a cartridge(what did you expect?) but I loved the rich sound,huge soundstage and amazing midrange. The MV-50 also ran pretty cool and has a nice integrated cage that looks at home. My dad uses VTL amps and they run remarkably cool for the output. I haven't used all the smaller,less powerful VTLs but I understand that they all run very cool. My Dad just traded his older Wotan Mono-blocs for the new Siegfried 800's and they sound simply spectacular. The Little VTL monoblocs also sound great and look really cool(I've only heard the MB125). That's about it for cool running tube amps that I've actually heard.

I've never heard a hybrid that I really enjoyed and my feeelings about digital amps are still not fully formed yet. I owned a PS Audio HCA-2 and liked how it sounded but I ultimately found problems with clipping and "channel bleeding" too much to deal with.

You might not take me for a solid-state kinda guy but I do enjoy the great ones. I love my own Hafler DH amps and I'm a huge fan of the latest NAD stereo amps which sound very,very similar to my old Haflers. Hands down one of the best solid-state amps I've ever heard is the Parasound Halo A23. This thing has incredible bass,super nice treble extension and is as smooth and defined as any Solid-state amp I've ever enjoyed. You must audition one before you purchase any amplification.

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 24
cpw, the HCA-2 was a closeout/demo at Music Direct. I don't think they have more but you should rather easily find one at Audiogon etc.
Much depends on your preferences of sound. If you want "tube sound", the HCA-2 may not be warm and smooth enough. It is not cool and analytical but a bit forward.
It is 150 W and if this is enough depends on your speakers, room size etc. It is enough for my Revel M20 (87 dB sensitivity) in a moderate sized room. The Revel's are also well behaved without impedance dips that can cause problems.

Jan 1, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
cpw, the HCA-2 was a closeout/demo at Music Direct. I don't think they have more but you should rather easily find one at Audiogon etc.
Much depends on your preferences of sound. If you want "tube sound", the HCA-2 may not be warm and smooth enough. It is not cool and analytical but a bit forward.
It is 150 W and if this is enough depends on your speakers, room size etc. It is enough for my Revel M20 (87 dB sensitivity) in a moderate sized room. The Revel's are also well behaved without impedance dips that can cause problems.

Speaker load plays a huge role in how much a listener will enjoy any amp but especially,I think,digital amplification and SET type,"flea" amps. I found the HCA-2 to be extremely sensitive to speaker loads and the impedence curves of some speakers. My HCA-2 at first sounded great with my Maggies but when I played it at even remotely loud volumes,it clipped uncontrollably and would not stop until powered down. It also clipped badly on my dad's Martin Loagans and Quads. I witnessed a HCA-2 clip very badly when powering a pair of Vandersteens and was amazed when I heard it clip when connected to what I though were "easy" to drive Opera bookshelf speakers(forgot which model). Clearly the current crop of digital amps have some issues but they do sound amazing.

BTW,I was at that Halcro demo at the T.H.E SHOW and heard the amps clip when driving the Wilsons while playing the Dizzy Gilespie songs. I'm sure Tyll Herstens and Todd Green were there as well with me and heard it too. The stuff you hear Halcro saying that it did'nt happen simply is'nt true. This is an excellent example of the limitations of digital amplification. I'm sure they will get it right but I'm off the bandwagon until then.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 24
There really are only two really good digital amps out there. One is
the crown series of digital amps, really designed for pa use, but sound
quite good. The other are amps based on the Bang & Olufsen Icepower
boards. The brand new series of psaudio amps use the Icepower chips.
They are also grossly overpriced as the Icepower modules can be had
in complete module form for about $200 each.

The halcro design is evidently a bad joke. Not the least of which is
that none of the halcro amps can correctly drive wilson speakers.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 24
CPW- If heat is a big issue, Class of operation is more relevant than tube vs. SS. Forte Class A amps are solid state but the heat sinks on my 4as were hot enough to fry eggs (slight exaggeration). Also some SS amps are biased more into Class A than others. Would help if you gave us some idea of power requirements, speakers, room size, and budget.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampwalker
Would help if you gave us some idea of power requirements, speakers, room size, and budget.

Room is 12'X12'.
Speakers are VonSchweikert VR-1 (89db sensitivity) with powered sub
VRS-1. Am using the high level in/out on the sub (supplying signal via speaker wire not interconnect).
Budget=$1000-$2500. I should think 35-40WPC would work but that 50-100 WPC (or more) would give some useful headroom. I'm not really sure how the way I'm running the sub (or the fact that it's powered) affects power requirements.
Thx,
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back