power amp splitter
May 18, 2005 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buschfsu

New Head-Fier
hello.
i have two recievers (integrated amps). a nad for 2 channel (read vinyl) and a sony (best buy special) for all multichannel. i want to send both to my front speakers and am wondering if i should built a little box with 2 dpdt switches or just connect both receivers and only use one at a time (if the switch thing will degrade my vinyl-NAD signal). any thoughts???????

May 18, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by buschfsu
hello.
i have two recievers (integrated amps). a nad for 2 channel (read vinyl) and a sony (best buy special) for all multichannel. i want to send both to my front speakers and am wondering if i should built a little box with 2 dpdt switches or just connect both receivers and only use one at a time (if the switch thing will degrade my vinyl-NAD signal). any thoughts???????

You should not hook up two amps to a common pair of speakers, even if only one of them is powered up. You should indeed use a speaker switchbox. Use DPDT switches rated for high current. I suggest at least 10A to ensure low contact resistance.

May 19, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 5
i have some 6amp dpdt switches but if you think this is too low i wont use them. I am only doing this to get the best possible sound out of my music hall turntable. any particular brand that has good internal contacts good for audio etc...

May 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by buschfsu
i have some 6amp dpdt switches but if you think this is too low i wont use them. I am only doing this to get the best possible sound out of my music hall turntable. any particular brand that has good internal contacts good for audio etc...

Go to the Mouser web site and enter "DPDT toggle switch 10A" into the search box and you'll get some good matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back