Power Amp for Tannoy Precision 6.2 (Teac AP-505?)
Mar 14, 2020 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mutsu

Head-Fier
I'm looking for Power Amp recommendations for Tannoy Precision 6.2 speakers.

Speaker specifications
Sensitivity (2.83 Volts @ 1m): 89dB
Nominal Impedance (Ohms): 8

A caveat: I live in Japan and a lot of power amps are not easily available here, or have a 2-3x markup versus US price.

I plan to pair this with an RME ADI-2 which I recently bought as a desktop dac and headphone amp, but so impressed with it that I want to get another for my speaker setup in the living room.

Current speaker setup: Aura Groove -> Tannoy Precision 6.2

My old setup in England was Audiolab MDac -> Audiolab 8200P -> Tannoy floorstanders. This setup was great to my ears, but Audiolab power amps have 2x markup over retail price at second hand here.

Unfortunately I have limited space, so looking for a smaller form factor amp, 30cm max width.

The Teac Ap-505 is available here and looks interesting with the Hypex Ncore module - anyone have any experience with this amp?

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Very tempted to take a punt on the Teac Ap-505, I can't really find much else that doesn't have an insane price hike (benchmark ahb2 is almost 12,000usd here!)

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Mar 25, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 8
So tried this with my RME ADI-2 Dac versus my Aura Groove.

The Groove is a much higher price point with integrated dac.

The Edge sounds very clean, good instrument separation, very black background. But it lacks an oomph factor that the Groove has.

I usually listen at lower volumes and this was really noticeable, however I turned on the ADI-2 loudness function and this improved things somewhat.

Right now I'm unsure what to do. The Edge clearly wins in certain areas, but the Groove sounds a bit more engaging and exciting to me, fuller bass and mids. Maybe the Groove exaggerates the mids and this is what I'd become accustomed to.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 8
HI i Have RME ADI 2 DAC and i LOOKING FOR A GOOD power AMP to power my Harbeth p3esr, i planned to buy TEAC AP505 , you lisntened it can you compare to anything?

I actually wasn't able to listen to the TEAC AP505, I took a punt on the XTZ Edge A2-300 and was disappointed with it in my living room setup. Now using it with some small bookshelf speakers for my desktop PC.

I ordered a power amp from March Audio based on measurements here, but it's not scheduled to arrive for a little over a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back