Powecord Question
Sep 5, 2004 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kurt

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

we tested my amp with some cheap Powercords and then with the one that came with the amp.

The differences were not subtle. It was like e removed curtain. OK, not a black, thick one but remarkable.

Since the cables didn’t cross a lot I assume this has nothing to do with shielding.

What is the reason for that effect?

TIA

Sep 5, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you shure it was not shielded? Shielding can be made by braiding the wires, which I think you refer to, but also by an aluminium foil or a thin copper braid. Expensive cables often have more than one layer of shielding.

Otherwise, it can be the quality of wire and insulation, topology of wires and not least the quality of the plugs. I don't really know how it works and these are explanations that are often mentioned. The only thing I really know, is that I have heard a difference, which is most important to me.

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Did the better powercord have lower gauge? This could've just given it more juice to sing better.

Sep 5, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the answers.

Anders: With “ didn’t cross a lot” I meant there were not much who could have disturb the signal. The cord was running alone to the same connector that was used to test the other cable. I’m sure they are shielded and I guess the better cable has a better shielding.

Lan: English is not my native language. What do you mean by “lower gauge”? Thinner diameter?

We did not cut the cables, so I’m not sure about the conductive material, but the better cable was quite thicker than the other.
But can it be that simple? Where does it end? How can one find out how thick is thick enough?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back