Potentiometer Question
Jul 22, 2003 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jacobh

100+ Head-Fier
I finished my RA-1 clone and have noticed something weird with the potentiometer. For the first part of rotation I get no sound, then for 2/3 of the rotation I get a constant low volume sound, finally for the last 1/4 or so of rotation it increases in volume really rapidly up to a point that is a bit above comfortable.

At first I thought it was the LED I hooked up drawing too much current, but that's not the case (I used 5 mA in my resistor calculation). Unhooking the LED did not change anything.

Are these the symptoms of a bad pot? Or is something else likely wrong. I have the potentiometer hooked in between the inputs and the 5.1 UF caps.

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 3
wasn't a bad pot. I just used 100ohm input resistors instead of 100k by accident.

Is 5mA a lot for a LED using battery power? At hat much current the one I have is super bright.

Jul 22, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 3
IMO, 5 mA is a lot for a power indicator. I set my amps up so the LED draws 1 - 2 mA. Your amp is probably drawing about 8-15 mA, and a 9V battery is good for about 600 mAh...Do the math and see what a little extra battery life is worth to you.

btw, the current quoted on a LED is maximum current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back