potentiometer changes sound?
Apr 5, 2004 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

till

Head-Fier
I have a problem with two different amps (a CMoy and a CHA47). They have totally different potentiometers, the only thing they have in common is a Meier bass-enhanced natural crossfeed. With the pot turned to low volume, the sound is very distant and dark. It changes with volume, becoming bright and natural at full volume or without a pot.
Am I right with the assumption that the crossfeed is at the wrong place in the circuit, causing the tonal shift somehow? Right now, the amps are wired like this: IN -> pot -> crossfeed -> amp section -> OUT. But when I bridged the crossfeed with alligator clamps, there was no audible change. Do I have to unsolder the connections and put the crossfeed before the pot?

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 3
the Meier crossfeed is very impedance sensitive, so putting it after the pot shows a varying impedance to the crossfeed, thus changing the sound. You either need to put it before the pot, or use a buffer or unity gain opamp between the pot and the crossfeed

g

Apr 18, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 3
I finally found the time to put it before the pot, and the problem went away. Thanks g
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back