potential vinyl rig
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
Juniper and Uncle Erik really should collaborate to make a stickie on getting into vinyl with explanations of all the lingo (shell head, cartridge, RIAA, clamp, isolation table...and so on).

I am wondering if anyone has experience with Bellari Vp-130?

It has a headphone out, but I would use it with my Darkvoice 336i to power AKG K702's.

I am looking at the following tables right now:
Rega P3 (slightly over my budget, but can get used one for around $400 CDN)
Thorens TD166 MKII with Linn Basik Plus for around $200 CDN
Technics 1200 MKII $400 (non-dj - don't hate!)
Technics SL-1700 Direct Drive turntable from head-fi'er not sure how much in total, but around $150 CDN
DUAL CS 503-1 "Audiophile Concept" Turntable with Ortofon cartridge $100 CDN
Dual CS506-1 belt drive with pitch control/anti control.Ortofon cartridge $120 CDN

My musical tastes are everything except Country and Opera (my ears bleed).

I like the idea of tube rolling with the Bellari...not sure which TT is best for it?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
confused.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Replied via PM, but here is a recap to help anyone who might stumble across this:

- Loved the TD-166 when I owned it. Often miss it.
- The 503-1 I owned was competent, but nothing too special about it.
- Belari phonos seem to have a pretty good rep, although I have never heard one (well, except via the headphone out and I was unimpressed with that).

I never owned one, but a 1700 Technics looks interesting. Oh, and $400 for a used Technics 1200? Seems like you could do much better.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 7
The 1200s are built like tanks, but can can still be abused by the DJs that use them. They have routinely good reviews by folks that actually take the time to listen to them. They are very tweakable, and upgradeable, and many absolutely swear by them.

$400 does sound high for used though, they are 5-600 new I think, depending on the model.

Check out KABUSA.com for more info on 1200 tables.

Thorens make good tables, well regarded.

Don't know a thing about the Belari.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 7
I am also surprised how much the used 1200 MKII are selling for here in Ontario, and most of these I email asking them if they were for scratching or listening - trusting there responses most say listening...
I really like the looks of the the Thorens and hope I can get it!
I am currently listening to a Sony POC, went to Radio Shack (broke down) bought a 9v battery powered Nexxtech phono preamp (the girl had NO idea what I was talking about..lol), hooked to my DV 336i and listening to Supertramp live in Paris in 1979. I figure it is all uphill from here and I am blown away by how great the sound...flac is nice and all but there is something special about vinyl!

thanks for the help!

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Some people like the tube sound of the Bellari but they are kind of expensive and sometimes have hum and noise issues. Quietness is a premium quality in phonograph preamplifiers. The phono box II and the 640P are the quieter budget candidates. You could also look into the DB Systems DB-8 phono preamp which is highly rated and sadly overlooked as a MM only alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back