Potential Purchase Woo WA7 Need help configuring with receiver and sound card
May 1, 2015 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CyberAthlete

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks in advance for your help. Went to Axpona, tested the WA7 with the HD 700, thought it was an excellent match. Before I was contemplating selling my HD 700 but with the WA7 they're a keeper. I felt the WA7 resolved all issues I had with the HD 700.

Before I plunge $$$$ on the WA7 + WA7TP, I wanted to know a few things.

Setup will be used with a PC as that is my work/entertainment PC.

Current Setup:
  1. Sound Blaster ZxR soundcard
  2. Sony STR-DH740 Receiver

Possible configuration (this is where I need to know if it will work):
ZxR optical out -> WA7 Optical In
ZxR Analog L/R out -> Sony STR-DH740 receiver

1) If i am using Optical out of the sound card will the analog channels also be sending a signal to the receiver when I want to play back sound through the speakers? I would hate to toggle through Windows sound settings just to get the analog channels to play
2) Since the DAC for the WA7 has mixed reviews, will using the optic fiber bypass that?

Thanks!

May 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 11
My best guess about the SB-ZxR.
I would assume when the SB-ZxR is set to Headphone, there will be no signal sent thru the SB-ZxR's line-outputs, just the headphone jack and optical.
When the SB-ZxR is set to Speaker, the SB-ZxR will be sending audio out the line-output ports (to Sony) and optical (to the WA7d), but not the headphone jack.

Using optical from the SB-ZxR to the Woo WA7d will bypass the SB-ZxR's DAC chip (PCM1794) and the WA7d's (PCM5102) DAC chip will be used.

May 1, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the response. If I do get the WA7d then I won't ever use the ZxR for headphones ever again. The Sony will just power my speakers and the headphones will be plugged into the WA7d...on paper and theory everything seems to work but you never know electronic components/software can be finicky.

Thanks!

May 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 11
How would you connect all these components together?

What would you do? 

Would you use the USB to connect to the Fireflies and optic fiber from ZxR to Sony? 

Should i then look at the Firefly without optic connection since the DAC of the WA7 will be engaged regardless? And might as well go  the route of USB and save some money?

How bad is the WA7 DAC? Is it that noticeable of a difference in quality? I used the optic cable with my iRiver mp3 player + HD 700 and it sounded great!

May 1, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 11
  How would you connect all these components together?
What would you do? 
Would you use the USB to connect to the Fireflies and optic fiber from ZxR to Sony? 
Should i then look at the Firefly without optic connection since the DAC of the WA7 will be engaged regardless? And might as well go  the route of USB and save some money?
How bad is the WA7 DAC? Is it that noticeable of a difference in quality? I used the optic cable with my iRiver mp3 player + HD 700 and it sounded great!

I guess optical to the WA7 and analog to the Sony is fine.
Your spending a lot more on headphone amplifiers and DAC/amps, then I would.
I spend $298 for my NFB-15.32 DAC/amp and it does the job for me.
Technically the SB-ZxR's PCM1794 DAC chip is rated better then the WA7's PCM5102A DAC chip.
The PCM5102A DAC chip is used in the $76 FiiO E10K
But as I'm assuming you need to use the SB-ZxR's features for SBX Headphone surround sound, can't see any other way to connect everything.

May 1, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the response. I won't be using the surround sound on my sound card. I just use it for the amplifier for now. I don't care for surround sound on the PC tbh. I have a separate setup for that :)

May 1, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 11
  Thanks for the response. I won't be using the surround sound on my sound card. I just use it for the amplifier for now. I don't care for surround sound on the PC tbh. I have a separate setup for that :)

So except for using the SB-ZxR as a DAC for the Sony, you really have no other use for the SB-ZxR?

May 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Pretty much.
I can send you a picture of my desk so you can better understand what it is I am trying to do. I am at work right now and will do so when I get home later tonight (7pm-8pm CST) and I definitely appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

May 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 11
  Pretty much.
I can send you a picture of my desk so you can better understand what it is I am trying to do. I am at work right now and will do so when I get home later tonight (7pm-8pm CST) and I definitely appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

I'm making a guess it might be better to sell off the SB-ZxR and get the cheaper Woo WA7, then get a dedicated external DAC.
A DAC with multiable analog line-outputs, one line for the WA7 and the other line going to the Sony.
This way both the WA7 and the Sony can take advantage of a nice DAC?

May 1, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 11
That's what I am beginning to think of as well..

So....sell the ZxR

Buy a nice DAC (Schiiit Bifrost?)
Connect it to the PC via USB
Run the analog connection to the WA7? wouldn't the WA7 still process the sound since it has to take the signal from the BiFrost and then run it to my headphones?
Run the optic fiber from BiFrost to Sony

Analog BiFrost > WA7
Optic BiFrost > Sony

Thanks for your help.

May 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Do you still recommend getting the Tube Power Supply? I might as well just get the entire setup while at it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back