Potential Mapletree Audio Design Order
Apr 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Grimspoon

100+ Head-Fier
A question especially for those who have dealt with and ordered from Dr. Lloyd Peppard in the past;

I'm looking to treat myself to a fully upgraded Ear+ HD Super Stereo Headphone Amplifier, but am curious if it's reasonable to request a unit built with 6 tubes instead of the standard 4 on the Ear+ super (like the HD200 has) and also if it would have any noticeable impact on this particular amp's sound if Dr. Peppard were to go ahead with the adjustment.

Thoughts an opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially if this is a completely dumb proposition so I can save myself the embarrassment of asking Dr. Peppard directly!
confused_face.gif

Also, the amp is meant to drive my Grado GS1000i headphones.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 38
I have no experience with the Ear Super, but I did order a Ear+HD with the blackgate option in the PS and have been really happy so far when pairing the Mapletree with some RS1's. Dr.Peppard is really great to deal with and no questions posted email will be left unanswered as he was always prompt to reply within a day. I am very happy with his product and the service I received and recommend MAD highly.

As for your amp, what extra tubes would you add on? Would they be the power tubes or a change in the output stage? From reading other members comments on the MAD Super it will have the juice to power two headphones simultaneously. I would just email Dr.P and let him know of your desire to upgrade and his opinion will be promptly provided. Let us know. I guess if it comes to life, yours would be the MAD Super Duper Ear+.

Do you currently own the Super and want to have it modded for more power? Good luck and looking forward to see what MAD creation awaits you.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 38
The way I understand it, and I might be totally wrong here but one pair of tubes is for power, the other is for sound? I'm totally new to tube amps, and my understanding of them is limited at best.

If I were to have the extra set added on, I don't think they would be for the power. Instead, added as an upgrade to the sound directly.

Again, not sure if that really makes sense, which is why I'm asking here.
biggrin.gif

Edit: I guess I should say feel free to suggest what tubes you think I should add on, since I really don't know.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 38
Hi;

Let me preface my comments by saying I'm not a designer of tube amps, but I don't think you can add tubes to an amp any more than you could cylinders to an engine. It would take a total redesign. If you want to change the order a bit, ask the good Dr. about different tubes, not more.

Bazile

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 38
^^^Agreed. I am also a noob as the MAD Ear+ is my first tube amp. I am not sure how the Ear+ will drive the GS1000i but I am sure the Super will have more than enough power. To tailor the sound, you change out different tube and even the manufacturers for the same tube type will have a different tone- hence the name tube rolling. It can get expensive as most of the tubes are not in producton anymore. Joe's tube lore is an interesting read.

I'm not sure on your budget also as these can get pricey but lookout for Woo Audio, people on this site have used the GS Grados with good results.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 38
It's been a toss-up between Woo Audio and MAD, but all things considered, I'd prefer to buy within Canada, plus I think I prefer the aesthetics of the MAD Ear+ HD Super over all. I'm not worried about power, from what I gather, based on user reviews/feedback both WA and MAD are more than capable of driving anything from the Grado Line-up.

That being said, part of my reasoning for asking about the possibility of additional tubes, aside from any potential sound benefits; I think it would make the Ear+ HD Super look even better.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 38
Just an update for anyone who's been curious; I emailed Dr. Peppard, he informed me that the extra two tubes on the HD200 were magic eye monitoring tubes and had no affect on the sound. Very interesting I think, I saw some videos on YouTube of those types of tubes, and now I think I want them even more! (sigh)

Also, probably a long shot, but does anyone know how the Ear + HD compares to the Stello HP100?

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 38
i haven't heard the MAD, but the stello hp 100 was really awful with my 225s, so i would assume it would still be awful with the GS1000i.

i heard the GS1000 on a woo 2 / woo 6 SE and the new ALO/RWA amp Amphora, and it was fantastic with all of them but maybe best with the Amphora. the MAD is pretty legendary with the RS-1 so there is that also.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 38
In what way was the HP100 awful with the SR225?

I've read a handful of comments stating that the HP100 synergizes really well with Grados, so any personal insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimspoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way was the HP100 awful with the SR225?

I've read a handful of comments stating that the HP100 synergizes really well with Grados, so any personal insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

the 225s sounded really thin and unresolved, the mids were extremely compressed as well. i did like the sound with 650 somewhat, but i was disappointed with it's performance with most headphones really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back