Potable USB device for use with pico?
Jul 20, 2008 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
I was thinking today about how to get the most from devices like the Pico (and the other popular portable amp/dac's out there).

Since all mp3 players out there wont be compatible with the pico's USB input, is there a device out there that is?

Basically all it has to be is a small hard drive with an interface to allow you to choose a file to play through the usb right....?

Is there anything out there that fits the bill and it ipod-sized, with decent GB's of storage?

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The OQO, this is my old model 01+
USB2.0 out, can run any player (I have FOOBAR2000 installed).

The nokia reccomendation had a problem in that the storage is too small.

This OQO looks great....except the price is too big!!! £1000!!

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 8
I just had a thought.
What would be an ideal ipod sized device with an ipod capacity....... an iPod would!!

The ipods dock connector is basically a USB port as well right? So wouldnt it be possible for some computer genius to create a frontend for the ipod to load a usb device like a Pico?!

On the same line of thinking, isnt there a linux for iPod? which is an overkill for what im suggesting though, and also it only has partial USB implementation so far.
But oh my, doesnt this totally open up possibilities!?!

(or maybe im barking up an imaginary tree....
frown.gif
)

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a thought.
What would be an ideal ipod sized device with an ipod capacity....... an iPod would!!

The ipods dock connector is basically a USB port as well right? So wouldnt it be possible for some computer genius to create a frontend for the ipod to load a usb device like a Pico?!

On the same line of thinking, isnt there a linux for iPod? which is an overkill for what im suggesting though, and also it only has partial USB implementation so far.
But oh my, doesnt this totally open up possibilities!?!

(or maybe im barking up an imaginary tree....
frown.gif
)

Unfortunately something that hasn't yet been exploited. There's clearly demand for simple digital out from iPods for portable use; but so far only devices like Wadia's have come out.

I'm not too familiar with the specific technicals, but apparently getting a digital signal out of an iPod is actually only as simple as implementing an authentication chip on the docking device (obviously Wadia got this from Apple). Or as you suggest, installing firmware on the iPod to simulate a USB host, which again is not yet possible.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......... apparently getting a digital signal out of an iPod is actually only as simple as implementing an authentication chip on the docking device (obviously Wadia got this from Apple). Or as you suggest, installing firmware on the iPod to simulate a USB host, which again is not yet possible.

Yeah iv heard of the authentication chip, and I also unfortunately heard apple charge bucketloads for its licencing so its a pretty unviable option for the most part.

The USB host method seems like it could be a great option, is anyone aware of any progress being made?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Soon as it's available I'll be buying one... just wish some sensible skilled board member would take the Pepsi challenge and friggin make one already!

Surely Vinnie is down on iMod sales lately... would make sense to rip a Wadia unit apart and get to work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back