Pot hookup. Where do the wires go??!!!
Oct 26, 2002 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ProJoe

New Head-Fier
AAAAARRRGHHH!!! I've been spending a couple hours trying to figure out how the heck the volume control is wired. I've tried what seems like every possible combination and none of them work. Either I get no sound, really loud sound or very faint sound. Everything I've read tells me to look at the diagram that came with the part, but I didn't get one! I got just the pot(Panasonic 10k ohm 12mm vert. mount) and nothing else.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? My amp works great, but without volume control, I'm stuck using the headphone out on my player, which sucks.
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Three terminals for each section of the pot. The middle terminal is the wiper and is the output of the pot, that goes to the amp circuits. The input feeds to the one one the right side of the pot, when the shaft of the pot is facing you. The left terminal goes to ground. The second section of the pot is the same, only it gets used for the other channel. If that doesn't clear it up, let me know, as I know sometimes written explinations are tough to make sense of.

This might help too-

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/voltonecon.html

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 13
OK. The problem is not my wiring. I hooked it up right, but it was WAY to loud. That is the problem. I'm not sure what could cause this. If the pot was doing it's job and resisting, it would be quiet. Wouldn't it? I'll see if my circuit has any solder brigdes. Maybe thats it. Skipped a resistor?
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Joe, I am working on a small get together for Head-Fi'ers, which will be down in Eugene. If you would be interested in attending, drop me a note in my "pm" box.

Is it possible that the volume control works, but the gain is too high? (the amp is excessivly loud at any volume?)

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 13
Budgie, he says he's using the Panasonic pot, which does not obey that common pin layout you quote. JMS is right: the correct pinout is in the CMoy article. Or, on the datasheet. It's also been explained pin-by-pin in past posts, Projoe. Do a search.

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 13
What can I say, I know my pot...my pots. Yeah.

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 13
I have figured it out. Turns out the gain WAS too high. That and I had wired my jacks wrong. But I fixed it and it works great now. Thanks for all your help.

Tangent:
I DID do a search, but didn't find anything. I always have trouble figuring out exactly what to search for.
confused.gif
Maybe that's why I was unsuccessful.

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I DID do a search, but didn't find anything.

For DIY info, Headwize has a better forum archive. I did a search there and found a few relevant hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back