Jul 9, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 25
I agree

Jul 9, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 25
-ditto-
frown.gif

Jul 9, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
I still think posting links to ebay auctions is a bad idea.

I do respect and accept your view, but would like to add that (1) I was always quite happy when others did the same, because it allowed me to get a "feel" for where to look, (2) the issue has been debated numerous times in here, and the outcome was always that there is no clear rule [but please correct me if that has changed]; and (3) personally, I think it is a myth that the truly interesting items remain undetected. Items that come up more often (such as the D-250 or the D-350) are not as rare as, say, a D-626, and thus not really worth getting excited about, in my view anyway.

Thanks to both of you for the battery hints, by the way.

Jul 9, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

(1) I was always quite happy when others did the same,

Yeah, it's very well meant, but IMHO you're not helping anybody. Not those who already had the auction bookmarked anyway, and neither those who didn't know, because the good deal you want to tell everyone about turns into a not so good one the moment you post it.

Quote:

because it allowed me to get a "feel" for where to look,

I suppose most people have already heard of ebay by now...

Quote:

(3) personally, I think it is a myth that the truly interesting items remain undetected.

Not undetected, but every bit of publicity means more potential bidders -> greater demand -> higher price. If your argument was that anybody who's interested would have found it anyway, then what use would such postings like yours have?

Quote:

Items that come up more often (such as the D-250 or the D-350) are not as rare as, say, a D-626,

IMO it's just the opposite. A 626 will always make huge waves and immediately attract a lot of attention, a 350 hiding as "Sony Discman" is far less likely to.

Quote:

and thus not really worth getting excited about, in my view anyway.

Obviously you were excited enough to post it
wink.gif

IMHO a far better way is if you know somebody's looking for something and you stumble across it, to let only this person know by email/PM. Maybe we should start a sticky thread where everybody can post what he's searching for?

Jul 9, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 25
Check out the poll which has collected a LOT of votes!

Jul 9, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 25
i believe if the auction is for something rare and hard to find. then it's ok to post the auction..
if it's just a good deal, posting the acution will make it into a bad deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 25
Posting helps those that don't know about it and hurts those that think it's their little secret. Listen, I feel for ya, as I've lost auctions at the last second. But c'mon people, stay away from eBay if you don't want a bidding situation. All the complaints seem to boil down to "you made me pay too much" or "someone who couldn't possible ever want or care for X the way I would, stole it from me 'cause he's some rich kid who probably won't even listen to the things... [insert more bitterness]". It's so silly. The entitlement factor is up there with a Pat Buchanan rally.

Also we better stop posting Koss or Amazon sales in case the equipment you deserve ends up out of stock.

Jul 9, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 25
Ok, for the record, I actually didn't want to start this all over, it just began as a slightly annoyed remark in response to a post by sugano-san, which Hirsch cut from the original thread and turned into this one...

Quote:

Listen, I feel for ya, as I've lost auctions at the last second. But c'mon people, stay away from eBay if you don't want a bidding situation.

What's that got to do with this? I have no problem with loosing auctions. I don't like it, but that's life. I can deal with that (I also don't know why people get upset about bids in the last second - it's over when it's over). What I have a problem with is uninvolved third parties altering the playing field. At any time there are maybe around 700 Sony PCDPs for auction on the various ebay sites, 99% of them junk. Sifting through this mess is a lot of work. Work I just don't like to see being rendered useless.
I am also not convinced at all that "posting helps those that don't know". It only helps the poster feel better, that's all.

Jul 9, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 25
I don't enjoy having eBay auctions posted, because then the item I saw as a deal a few hours before becomes a free for all bidding/sniping contest. I want the good deals....
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 25
Isn't it an entitlement/selfish issue no matter how you look at it? If you're cool with loosing, good. But those who complain sound like they want to restrict information for their gain. That's the way I see it. It's an auction. This is a headphone site. We post information of interest to headphone fans. That includes sales, auctions, whatever. How can this be a globally bad thing? Some individuals may not be able to get some killer deal if more people know about it. That's certainly true. But it's those individuals crying about someone else possibly winning that bothers me. "I've looked for HP-1's for months then someone comes in...." They're not your phones! If you think your work becomes a waste of time, stop doing it. This seems so short sited. There's plenty of places to shop where it's not who makes the highest bid.

Please tell me (and I'll retract everything) how this is a larger issue then what I've said.

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm cool with losing, except when the item is used and not that collectible, and it goes way above the general retail price of it.

I had a friend who had an e-mail war with the other buyer on an item a couple years ago on this video they both wanted to buy.....they ended up being friends and one actually mailed the other a copy of the video they were both bidding on.

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 25
Do you know what you guys are complaining about?

Getting outbid on CRAP YOU DON'T NEED.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!

A study should be done on EBay addiction, and self-help seminars should be started on how to get people to take their RAMPANT MATERIALISM LESS SERIOUSLY......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I like audio equipment as much as the next guy, but c'mon....listen to yourselves and what's getting you uptight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back