Posthardcore/Screamo/Metalcore Discussion
May 22, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and I was wondering if anyone else here enjoyed the post-hardcore/screamo/metalcore genre. We're talking about bands like Chiodos, Silverstein, Underoath, Alexisonfire, Blessthefall, etc. So, discuss everything having to do with this genre. Everything from favorite bands to headphones to who screams better.
biggrin.gif

Also, I know there is some metal that branches over into this genre with metalcore, but I'd like to keep that in the metal specific threads
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a good question: What's your favorite breakdown?

May 22, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 26
idk, i listen to bands like chiodos underoath, then theres devil wears prada, haste the day, all that remains, atreyu, etc. do those count?

May 22, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 26
I don't particularly like the Screemo bands (AlexisonFire, Underoath), but I have liked a little bit of metalcore in the past. The 3 main bands that come to mind are All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, and Unearth.

Unearth is probably the best metalcore I've heard, though I don't particularly care for the violent/satanic lyrics. In The Eyes of Fire is a fantastic album. Check it out.

May 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 26
I'm a hardcore TAAS fan if that counts.
biggrin.gif

When I was in Philadelphia I saw Rosetta with a post-hardcore band which I loved, Jena Berlin. myspace.com/jenaberlin

Balboa is really excellent post-screamo, and I recently reviewed their screamo/shoe-gaze side project, Elder which is also excellent.

myspace.com/Balboa
myspace.com/elderphiladelphia

May 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 26
Alexisonfire is OK (haven't heard the rest), but I prefer my screaming where it belongs... in Death Metal.
biggrin.gif

Or Black Metal. Or Melodeath.

May 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 26
As I Lay Dying is very good. You should check out Killswitch Engage.
Do you guys think Bullet for My Valentine falls under metalcore or straight up metal? I will agree with you, moogoob, Alexisonfire is just ok.

Steggy, I love Chiodos and The Devil Wears Prada. And I gotta say Craig Owens making an appearance on Plagues was awesome.

I'll have to check out Unearth, Balboa, Orchid, and some of the others.

*What do you guys like- constant screaming, varied screaming, screaming only to show emotion, or screaming in the breakdown?
*What's the best breakdown you've heard in a post-hardcore,screamo, metalcore song?
*Who is the best screamer?

I can see the last two becoming hot topics
wink.gif

I'm personally into only screaming to show emotion or during the breakdown. Constant screaming sounds to muddy to me personally. :/ That's why I tend to stay toward bands like Chiodos, Silverstein, Emery, Blessthefall, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the raw power of an intense guitar riff and some insane screaming, but only occasionally. And, the person screaming has to have a REALLY good scream. I don't enjoy the really guttural screams in death metal. I really prefer sing/screaming where the lyrics are still coherent. Craig Owens from Chiodos and Craig Mabbett from Blessthefall/Escape the Fate have some of the best screams ever. Craig has an amazing voice too. I hope he doesn't ruin it with all the screaming.

May 23, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a hardcore TAAS fan if that counts.
biggrin.gif

Yeaaaah, I love TAAS. New album hopefully coming out in the fall. I am very excited. More than that I just can't wait to see them live again.

I will check out the artists you linked I actually haven't heard of any of them.

Bear VS Shark hasn't been mentioned yet. I think they are good. Sort of like Alexisonfire but more to my taste.

More post-punk than just post-hardcore and not at all screamo or metalcore, but I have really been enjoying Ragged Rubble by Double Dagger.
http://www.myspace.com/doubledaggersucks
even if you don't like it the first time, try it again because I think these guys are great. Excellent combination of "barebones" rock music (no guitar just drum, bass and vocals) with some humor and energy. And of course the live show rules.

May 25, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 26
It Dies Today would be exactly what you're looking for. You would like Sirens the most, because it is mostly singing, but Caitiff Choir is a really good album.

For those of you that like Unearth, check out Arise and Ruin, they're a canadian metalcore band that had their latest full-length produced by Ken Susi of Unearth, so their song structure is similar.

For fans of As I Lay Dying, check out Destroy the Runner. They have similar riffing and their vocalist, while not as powerful as Tim Lambesis, is weaker and so his screaming will be more tolerable for you guys.

For some mathcore/posthardcore stuff, Protest the Hero is a very solid band. Their music is all over the place, which is what makes it so fun.

A really good new screamo/posthardcore band I've been listening to is Secret and Whisper. Despite being on Tooth & Nail, which is usually a sign enough to keep me at arms length (save mewithoutYou, of course), these guys have put together a good debut album.

My favorite breakdown is probably the two-portion masterpiece from Ghost of a Fallen Age's song The New 2007 Model Human. It's a heavier song than what else has been mentioned in this thread, but it is perhaps the most earth-shattering thing to have come through my headphones in a long while.

May 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 26
From Autumn To Ashes are really good. And there is an English band called Gallows who are excellent.

Do bands like Story of the Year, BFMV, 36 Crazyfists, Avenged Sevenfold count? I know they are more mellow...

May 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 26
screamo= saetia portrait of past,orchid,page99 and hundreds more
alexisonfire are not screamo imo

hardcore= born against,hail mary
metalcore= carol,dawnbreed,autumn to ashes

May 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 26
Hey alan_g, nice mention of saetia. Alot of people dont even recognize things like that as screamo or even know that bands like that from the 90s started the whole thing.

If you want real screamo go for bands like alan_g listed. If you want modern screamo that is not even one bit uplifting or truely emotion or genuine, then go for the rest.

May 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 26
I don't listen to much Screamo, but my nephew just DL'd all his songs onto my laptop and there are some bands that I never woulda thought about listening to. Mostly Emo stuff like silverstein...but he has some hardcore/screamo stuff.

Bullet For my Valentine
A Change of Pace..... this one surprised me, they're fairly good.
Comeback Kid
Sound the Surrender
A Day to Remember - Fast forward to 2012
Escape the Fate..... Another surprising band
Fall of Troy
LoveHateHero
Never Means Maybe.... Another surpriser
Paramore
Reliant K

Some screamo I listened to before he DL'd all his songs to were From First to Last, From Autumn to Ashes, and some others already mentioned.

I would keep going, but he uploaded like 100 bands, about 1400 songs. For being 16, he's pretty musically diverse.

May 25, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 26
I agree with alan g there are 2 other awesome bands that off shooted from Saetia are Hot Cross and City of Caterpillar.

Also these are 3 great bands within those genres.
Envy (great Japanese band)
Circle takes the Square
Thrice (post hardcore-experimental)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back