Post your Sennheiser custom cables
Mar 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, the group buy for Sennheiser connectors has been over for a while now, so I would like to see what you all have done with your connectors. Also, please post the specs of the cable. There are some real master here, and I imaging there have been some amazing creations, so post away. I will start, but it is nothing like what some of you will have.

Headphone: HD580
Wire: 22ga Teflon coated stranded Silver plated copper
Configuration: Litz Braid
Termination: Neutrik NP3C-B (Gold Plated) /Senn plugs
Covering: Multifiliment Nylon
Approximate Materials Cost: $20

cans.jpg

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 18
I missed out on the group buy, but I just wanted to say wonderful work you have done there. Also, If anyone has an extra connectors for a pair of HD580's please PM me im interested.

Thanks,
Alex

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 18
I'll post my good wires when I finished them this arvo.
When you talk about termination please mention how you terminated the cables to the sennheiser plugs. I.e directly to the plugs, to the cable or to the Y split.

Here's my first attempt a while ago, not my nice cables but they've lasted while I was waiting for my cable shipment to arrive:

580-rewire1.jpg

Wire: 24AWG x 6 x 5 stranded copper wire. Austel approved telecommunications wire.
Configuration: Attempted eichmann ratio 1 for signal 2 for GND (didn't have enough strands to get the 1/3 ratio).
Termination: Gold plated generic 6.3mm / Sennplugs connected after Y splitter.
Covering: n/a
Approximate Materials Cost: $5

Surprisingly still a minor improvement over the stock cables.

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I'll post my good wires when I finished them this arvo.
When you talk about termination please mention how you terminated the cables to the sennheiser plugs. I.e directly to the plugs, to the cable or to the Y split.

Good point, mine are to the cable right before it enters the plug. I Fubared my first Senn connectors by splitting them, extracting the pins, soldering directly into them, and reinserting the pins, supergluing everything in place. It would have been great, except I didn't get the pins aligned correctly, so they wouldn't plug into the headphones.

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 18
im thinking about picking up some 650 stock cables and making some headphone rewire, senn has them for $11 right now, so it comes out to a little over $5-6 a plug including shippin costs and such.

Though I wont be splcing, IMO defeats the purpose of recabling. Id probably cut the plug in have and solder direct to the terminals.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 18
which is strange considerng the 650 cable is significantly better.

Mar 17, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 18
Forgot to post these

580s.jpg

Wire:18 AWG and 22AWG stranded silver plated copper, mil spec with teflon sleveing and sounds a lot more expensive then it really is.
Configuration: Litz Braided Eichmann ratio.
Termination: Gold plated generic 6.3mm / Sennplugs connected just before plugs.
Covering: Black / Clear 1/4" techflex
Approximate Materials Cost: $40AUD

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
What is the Eichmann ratio?

I read the info on the site, but it doesn't explain the exact ratios.

There are 2 school of thoughts on this:

To use larger/ more conductors for signal compared to ground. Kimber PBJ's, Tonik and Silver Streaks etc. are examples of this.

To use larger/ more conductors for ground compared to signal. This is the Eichmann ratio.. In other words, for a tri-braid, you'd use 2 conductors as ground and 1 conductor as signal.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 18
plugscut.jpg

plug3.jpg

cabledone.jpg

First effort about a month ago, plug cutting was easy with a dremel, just don't go as high as I did. Soldering was a nightmare and looks like ass, when the pins get hot they move, its like soldering something thats alive
biggrin.gif

Canare Starquad
Neutrik jack

Going to move onto some of the wire everyone else is using from ebay for another pair.

More info here

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by escher
the 650 cable will also work for the 580, right? sennheiser is selling the 580 cable for $17, but the 650 cable is $11.

I looked on the Sennheiser site but couldn't find the cables for sale. Anybody have a link?

I would really like to get 2 pairs of the Senn plugs.

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
I looked on the Sennheiser site but couldn't find the cables for sale. Anybody have a link?

I would really like to get 2 pairs of the Senn plugs.

Do a search for Part #092885. I would provide a direct link, but I don't think it works. I might just have to get one of these cables and see if I can make a nicer replacement cable. Garbz, Magsy, what do you think of your cables, and any microphonics issues?

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 18
I would need to a/b the new and old but in all honesty I don't think there was any significant difference. Possibly more coherent in the bass dept...

I went into it just to make a cable, not to improve sound, I had no expectations
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back