Post Your Own Music Thread
May 7, 2011 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zzephyr27

Head-Fier
I'm really surprised I've never seen this thread done before on a forum full of audiophiles.

Post your own musical projects in this thread! Give and receive feedback. Discuss your methods, ask questions, anything. Include a description so people know what they're getting into.

I'll start!

I started playing violin when I was 10. In middle school, I picked up guitar and bass which I learned quickly from the dexterity I had developed from playing violin. At that point in my life, I was heavily interested in theory and what I believed to be "technical" in my young mind. As I aged, I became more interested in art. My tastes in music matured, and the methods by which I made music had to change. I gradually played less and less guitar, as I tried to learn about Digital Audio Workstations, which was honestly a much slower learning curve than I had ever experienced when learning to wiggle my fingers on various instruments. I was bored with such a set language for sound as art - guitar makes guitar sound, violin makes violin sound, etc. I was much more interested in the limitless possibilities of software, and pushing the limits for what sound as art is (not that I'm anywhere near that level).
That wasn't supposed to be so long and dramatic, but it's vaguely what got me to this point in my musical progression at least.

I've started making music under the name niche.

http://soundcloud.com/datniche

I have 2 tracks up. Marbles is an eclectic beat in 15/8 time signature. If you're only gonna listen to one, try that.

Oh, and also free/name your price FLAC/320 download here: http://niche.bandcamp.com/

I'm looking forward to hearing the music that other head-fi'ers make.
If this thread gets going strong, you shouldn't post your own stuff without giving feedback to others.
Post 'em!

May 9, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 3
Interesting stuff you got there. It's obvious from the music that you have a musician's background instead of some Fruityloops/Acid Loops kid making repetitive and simple "beats."

I agree that technology has allowed far more interesting flexibility in creative vision, and I for one love synthesizers and effects, as they can create textures and timbres we have never heard of before, and can add a breath of fresh air to traditional instruments by altering them with effects.

My music is on my website (www.ethereality.info). I'm a composer, songwriter, and I also do sound design (synth patches). I started out writing music for myself in my bedroom back in the early 1990's, then joined an industrial band briefly, then wrote songs professionally for popstars in Taiwan, then went back to just doing music for myself. Around 2007 I started composing scores for video games and films in my free time. I'm currently working on some new material for a solo album, and possibly will license it as library music for media. I might also take on some more games and films in the near future. I'm also contemplating producing young female artists, or maybe form a duo with a female vocalist and do some trip-hop/electronica/acid-jazz/lounge type of release.

My main career has always been in visual artist (art director for video games, animation, illustrator, graphic novels), but my number one passion has always been music and writing/directing. I'm also a photographer. I try to take on gigs doing projects in the areas I'm more passionate about, but visual art has always been the more consistent bread-winner. Not that I don't love visual art, but I'm emotionally more invested in creative endeavors that must involve the fourth dimension.

I play the keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, percussion, Zendrum, melodica, harmonica, recorder and with varying levels of competency. I'm not a virtuoso and don't aim to be, since my instrument playing is there to serve my composition and arrangements, and also help me understand the inner-workings of various playing techniques/articulations so I can be a better arranger/orchestrator. I would like to add cello one day to the list of instruments I play, and perhaps a brass instrument (likely trombone) and a more advanced wind instrument (flute maybe). Once I have all major instrument groups covered, I think I'll be done learning new instruments and just concentrate on honing my skills on them and advancing as a composer.

I have a very wide range of influences, and I don't like to box myself into just one genre of music. I love hybridizing different cultures, time periods, styles, and so on. But I do have a few areas where I focus more on as they resonate with me more, such as electronic, lounge jazz, bossa nova, acid-jazz, orchestral, industrial/goth, metal, prog rock, trip-hop, ethnic/world, and rock/pop.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 3
From time to time Imma drop something here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back