Post your Headsave Classic impressions
Aug 2, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #76 of 90
What do you guys think of the OPA637?

Tangent says it is actually quicker than the OPA627 (he prefers the OPA637 between the 2) but requires more gain, the reason i ask is b/c thats all norm has in stock right now. And i really don't wanna be like
basshead.gif
at a 9 o clock pots position
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #77 of 90
Hey I'm a newbie to this forum, but I would like to know what the main difference is in having dual opamp AD8610s as supposed to a single AD8620 .

I have a pair of HD600s looking to order a Headsave classic.

Also, for all those with HD600s and a Headsave Classic, could you please list your preferences you gave Norm for your amp? (such as gain, buffers,..etc.)

Many Thanks,

(I think I should have started a thread,..sorry).
rolleyes.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #78 of 90
FWIW my Classic gets dropped off by UPS later today. I got the classic, OPA2227 and AD8620 opamps, the 24v Elpac PSU, and some RCA cable.

I'm looking forward to seeing what my Sennheiser 590s sound like
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #80 of 90
I got my Classic for my HD600s and I believe they marry very well. It's very detailed and very clean-sounding.

Great purchase!
600smile.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #81 of 90
I need to get an amp for my senn 580s. Should I get a

1. a classic ($110)
or 2. a home-vibe + ad8620 opamp (+$14 = $100)?

I'm on a tight budget and want to spend only how much is most worth it.

also, FARDAD, could you describe how it's different, I also have never had an amp, and I thought I didn't need one because my emu0404 can get the volume high enough to blow my ears.

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #82 of 90
You would probably be happier with the Home Vibe plus the AD opamp as the upgraded power section probably has less impact on the overall sound than an upgraded opamp. I have not hear the Home-Vibe though so I cannot say for sure.

Oct 22, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
I need to get an amp for my senn 580s. Should I get a

1. a classic ($110)
or 2. a home-vibe + ad8620 opamp (+$14 = $100)?

I'm on a tight budget and want to spend only how much is most worth it.

also, FARDAD, could you describe how it's different, I also have never had an amp, and I thought I didn't need one because my emu0404 can get the volume high enough to blow my ears.

Well I got the Classic because I believe, for me at least, the quality of the power supply config was the determining factor that made me choose the Classic over the Home Vibe. It seems you want to satisfy your Senns with the proper & popular OpAmp (being the 8620s) for them but you're not sure as to spend the extra money for a higher quality PS configuration and stay with the default OPA2227s. I believe it is worth it because I know I will be using this amp for a long while until my next upgrade and I did go slightly over my budget for this. But keep in mind that I've never owned a Home Vibe nor listened to one so i can only make comparisons on to the amps that I've listened to (my telefunken, rotel, Antique Sound Labs,..etc.) that fall into this price range (amp <= $200).

But truthfully, in choosing a Headsave case amp, I believe that the quality of the PSU should come before Opamp upgrade. Since Opamps are easily rollable in the Headsave amps, you'll know they will always sit in with the best PS config (in the Headsave line of amps) if you go with the Classic. So when you do get the extra money lying around one day, you can just swap them and never have to worry about doubting yourself with a Home Vibe if the quality of sound would've been better with a better PS layout.

(P.S. get the 'orange' LED, it looks soOooOOo nice)
600smile.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #84 of 90
I traded my rega ear to norm for a classic (which is running off an elpac and using AD8620 op amp), and have been nothing but impressed with the sound thus far.

I own a behringer UB802 mini-mixing board, which has an integrated headphone amplifier, and it was (IMO) on the same level as the rega. I could hear a little more distortion on the 802, as well as some clipping at moderate volumes, but they both had equivalent punch and clarity.

I got the classic hooked into my sistem, and started listening. I started noticing details that were not there before, noticed that I was hearing bass on songs that previously lacked it, and now my DT-770's are VERY bassy on songs that call for it. Previously I hadn't seen what the big issue with them was, they seemed relatively balanced out of the rega.

The classic behaves nicely with my grados, and gives me a ton of details, has good punch, and makes my headphones sound like they're breathing. Finally I'm getting a good headstage, good texture to the music.

I'll leave a disclaimer at the end however, this is only my second mid-fi amp that I've lived with for an extended period, but I'll be taking delivery of a nice pimeta in the not too distant future, and will post more impressions later, comparing the two.

What I can say for certain however is that my classis vastly outperforms my former rega with all three of my headphones (SR-125, Sony CD-1700, and DT-770/250).

Thanks norm.

Nov 11, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
I traded my rega ear to norm for a classic (which is running off an elpac and using AD8620 op amp), and have been nothing but impressed with the sound thus far.

You know, it really makes me quite happy to read things like this, since I had a Rega Ear and got rid of it because I didnt really feel it any better than my Rotel integrated amp, the Ear has a nice groove to it, but I still felt it a little bit warm to my taste and it made the DT531 have a tendency towards metallic highs at times.

I am almost certainly going to buy a Classic because of its excellent value for money. I want a clean, detailed, dynamic amp for not much money and this seems to fit the bill excellently. I have not yet read a bad word about this amp, which really is quite promising for me, and as everyone here knows, I absolutely LOVE budget components that really sing
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #88 of 90
nice, i knew its a good thing to wait. now we have to see what people think about them

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #89 of 90
I wonder how this new amp of Norm's will compare to something like the SR71, I was just about to get A Classic from him and being such a nice guy he informed me of the impending new classic, I already own A Home vibe with OPA 627's and am very pleased, this new amp could well turn out to be the best bang for buck in the hi-fi world

Users who are viewing this thread

Back