Post your HD650 Rig here!
Dec 17, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
The HD650 is definitely not for everybody. After all, it is not perfect; no headphone is. But for some of us, having auditioned, purchased, re-purchased, traded, sold, etc. just about every headphone worth listening to, the HD650 is the mainstay headphone.

You know who you are. The fellow who proudly sticks his HD650 directly to the headphone out of a portable player. The head-fier who dumped some of the best and most expensive electrostatic rigs to spend more time listening to this $300 headphone. The believer who recables his HD650 with only the finest cables (and I am not talking mere Mobius or Equinox here!). The lurkers with killer HD650 rigs but never post, yet somehow know how to use the PM system to inquire about suitable tubes and balanced amplifiers. Come out and post a pic of your HD650 rig.

I'll start...

SDS-XLR_Front.jpg

SDS-XLR_ALL.jpg

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 58
My rig is rather modest compared to yours but it works very well with HD650.

Setti_800.jpg

Monitor_800.jpg

Well maybe I could tell you little something about my HD650 journey. This is my second pair now. The first pair I got came in right after my first real hifi-headphones which were HD595. Head-Fi made me want more so soon HD595 wasn't enough for me so I borrowed HD650 from a local store and fell in love immediately. I bought them and enjoyed them for about a year. Then I heard W5000 and sold all my other headphones to buy them. After that I went for a speaker rig (Genelec monitors + Genelec subwoofer) but finally realized that headphones were my thing. I decided to build a new headphone rig and to build it around HD650 which I knew would sound great and would definitely NOT give me a listening fatigue. That's very important to me. So here I am with this rig now and I have no intentions on changing anything in this rig (at least for now
wink.gif
).

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 58
Patu, I love your computer rig. I have none at the moment and will build one for the, well, HD650. It will have to wait until the release of the new Mac OS (kids been clamoring for a Mac so I will get them one, like the good dad I am!). You have good taste in audio
icon10.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patu, I love your computer rig. I have none at the moment and will build one for the, well, HD650. It will have to wait until the release of the new Mac OS (kids been clamoring for a Mac so I will get them one, like the good dad I am!). You have good taste in audio
icon10.gif

Thanks. I love it too.
wink.gif

It still pales in comparison to your massive SDS-XLR + G08 combo. I wish I would have a chance to hear HD650 paired up with the world's best headphone amplifier.

It's nice to see some serious HD650 love here. Good luck with your computer rig project.

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy Sennheiser PATB, that's a rig that I can only dream about. So what do you do when you're not listening to that rig 23 hours a day?

drooling over the sound on the 24th hr..

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 is definitely not for everybody. After all, it is not perfect; no headphone is. But for some of us, having auditioned, purchased, re-purchased, traded, sold, etc. just about every headphone worth listening to, the HD650 is the mainstay headphone.

You know who you are. The fellow who proudly sticks his HD650 directly to the headphone out of a portable player. The head-fier who dumped some of the best and most expensive electrostatic rigs to spend more time listening to this $300 headphone. The believer who recables his HD650 with only the finest cables (and I am not talking mere Mobius or Equinox here!). The lurkers with killer HD650 rigs but never post, yet somehow know how to use the PM system to inquire about suitable tubes and balanced amplifiers. Come out and post a pic of your HD650 rig.

I'll start...

SDS-XLR_Front.jpg

SDS-XLR_ALL.jpg

Oh my!
blink.gif
All this to drive the HD650?
biggrin.gif
For the size I would expect floorstanding speakers.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 58
I'm at my parents house so just using a HT receiver. Normally being driven by the Lavry at my apartment.

1010550pi3.jpg

They're great headphones, I won't let them go until the Sennheiser releases a successor (and assuming it's in the 580/600/650 family and not 555/595)

Weird...but after getting the HD650 I stopped looking for an Omega 2
blink.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 58
I'm picking up an HD650 just for a change in sound every once in a while, and even though I'm not the biggest Sennheiser fan, I decided balanced 650s dont sound so bad after all
biggrin.gif

Oops: Opera Consonance Turandot->Singlepower Extreme XLR->HD650

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 58
I am running a balanced HD650 with a Zu cable through a Rudistor NX-33 from a Classé Audio Cd player, and I am loving the sound!
600smile.gif

(Sorry about the bad picture, but it gets larger if you click on it)

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 58
Nothing special here; just my Total Bithead 2006 and an iPod. But guess what. It sounds great. No veil here. (No roll off either.)

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 58
Sony 333ES -> Curcio Audio DAC -> Bottlehead S.E.X. with lots of mods -> 650 with stock cable.

I am in the process of getting ready to move so no pictures yet. I have a Cardas cable for the senns and a few upgrade parts for the DAC on order.

Andrew

Dec 18, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 58
See below for current rig.

The future will look something like this:

ALAC ==> 1820M ==> Benchmark DAC1 or Stello DA220 ==> GS-X =(Balanced Equinox)=> HD650

I'll get there someday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back