post your favorite recipe
Dec 17, 2005 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Headphoneus Supremus
looking for some good food ideas.
my favorite is red hot chili paste pork chops.
you go to an asian market and get red hot chili paste. you then put a half cup of the paste, mix in a half a green onion, 2 diced garlic cloves and then rub this concontion of thin center cut pork chops. bake for 1 hr at 375F. absolutely divine....

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Halibut grilled in a banana leaf with chili citrus relish

You can get frozen banana leaf at Asian or Polynesian markets; soak it in water for about 2 hours so that it is pliable.

For the relish you will need zest from one lemon, one lime, and one orange. You can also use the juice from all three. Add them to a small bowl with some coriander, ancho chili powder, oil, and either some chipotle seasonings or fresh peppers coarsely chopped.

I prefer filet but you can use halibut steaks as well. Generously cover the halibut with the relish and wrap it in the banana leaf. Put it on the grill on medium-high for about 7 minutes on each side. The halibut is basically steamed inside the banana leaf and it is very tender. Add some fresh veggies and rice and you have a great restaurant style dinner! Oh and don't forget a good Riesling... it goes great with the dish
tongue.gif

btw - I probably saw this or something like it on Boy Meets Grill so I can't take credit for the idea
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 8
grilled beer bratwurst

pack of bratwurst, one 24oz of whatever beer, one onion chopped

Place all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil, then place brat's on a preheated grill and grill.

Place Brats on hot-dog bread (if your an onion person, you can cover the brats with the boiled onion).

Open up a fresh beer and enjoy!!

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
looking for some good food ideas.
my favorite is red hot chili paste pork chops.
you go to an asian market and get red hot chili paste. you then put a half cup of the paste, mix in a half a green onion, 2 diced garlic cloves and then rub this concontion of thin center cut pork chops. bake for 1 hr at 375F. absolutely divine....

1911, you've made your OWN gochujang? That's impressive - but not surprising from the Master of Marinations. We need to do a BBQ when you come back here in the Spring!

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't do boring main meals; I do sweet stuff and desserts.
biggrin.gif

A good one for winter which even the least accomplished cook can manage - stewed apple:

Get four big cooking apples. I like to use large Golden Delicious. If you're not sure, ask your grocer.

Remove the skin.

Slice thinly - imagine you're making apple chips.

Put in a covered pan at _low_ heat (I use one above the lowest setting on my stove). Add a couple of tablespoons of water.

Wait, stirring occasionally so the same slices aren't always at the bottom - just try and 'rotate' them; it takes about an hour to properly stew. At this point you should notice the slices are very soft. Add two tablespoons of brown sugar and a half teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir (the apple slices will kind of dissolve at this point: that's what they're supposed to do :>). Serve hot, keeps well in the fridge for two days or so, can be reheated in the microwave.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 8
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
[size=xx-small]I don't do boring main meals; I do sweet stuff and desserts.
biggrin.gif

A good one for winter which even the least accomplished cook can manage - stewed apple:
Get four big cooking apples. I like to use large Golden Delicious. If you're not sure, ask your grocer.
Remove the skin.
Slice thinly - imagine you're making apple chips.
Put in a covered pan at _low_ heat (I use one above the lowest setting on my stove). Add a couple of tablespoons of water.
Wait, stirring occasionally so the same slices aren't always at the bottom - just try and 'rotate' them; it takes about an hour to properly stew. At this point you should notice the slices are very soft. Add two tablespoons of brown sugar and a half teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir (the apple slices will kind of dissolve at this point: that's what they're supposed to do :>). Serve hot, keeps well in the fridge for two days or so, can be reheated in the microwave.[/size]

that sound easy, i will have to try that. i can barely cook and i can only cook from buying readied seasoning. my fav meal is chinese restaurant type broccoli + sliced onion + thin sliced beef, with that smooth brown liquid. maybe with sliced asparagus too. also i added a little pinnaple. and eat them with cooked rice. ofcourse the seasoning i bought is never as good as in the restaurant, i could never make it come close.

but i only cook when ihave extra money left to afford the food because cooking the good stuff seem so expansive, especially nuts. most of the time any money left goes to audio related or computer stufff first, and then its ramen noodles.
rofl.gif
[/size]

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
1911, you've made your OWN gochujang? That's impressive - but not surprising from the Master of Marinations. We need to do a BBQ when you come back here in the Spring!

of course not man..i buy it in a jar! but the wang brand of course! man all your crap cost mucho dinero to ship but you know what....you are worth it! hahahahah

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 8
terry: yeah, it's super easy, just don't overheat it (since you have a lid on the pan it really doesn't need anything above the lowest setting to get hot enough) and don't overdo the sugar or spices. If you don't add enough, you'll notice when you first taste it, and you can add a bit more. If you add too much, you can't take it out again. Important cookery rule, that one.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back