Post your dream car(s).
May 2, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #136 of 161
Don't want to bother searching for pics, but here goes:

Dodge Ram 2500 (or 3500 w/o dualies) 4x4 with a Cummins 6-cylinder diesel engine, 5-speed manual transmission, quad-cab, long-bed, leather interior, and at least a 6" suspension lift. Yup, I want a redneckmobile
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

or for something a little more practical for everyday use:

One of those late model Ford Mustangs that look like the first one. I haven't kept up on cars for years so I have no idea what model years the new ones are. One of those with a 351cu V8 (does Ford still make those?) and a 6-speed manual transmission would make me happy.

May 2, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #137 of 161
Attainable: Honda S2000
Practical: Acura TSX
Prob. Not Attainable for me: BMW M3
Practical but prob. not attainable: Infiniti G35-x
Car I have been obsessed with since I started liking real cars but will never find in good enough condition with low enough miles: Toyota Supra

May 2, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #138 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
The Koenigsegg CCR set a record speed of 241 mph back in February of 2005. The McLaren F1 held the record before that with a speed of a little over 240 mph that was untouched since 1998. During February of 2005 when the CCR set the speed record it also held the record as having the most powerful engine available in a production line car set a year prior. Both of those records have now been broken is currently held by the Veyron.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I know, the F1 never really held the production car speed record in the first place; the Dauer 962LM was going >251mph in 1994, though calling it a production car is really stretching the meaning of the term. I'm not sure how many Dauer 962's were built, but it's probably less than 50. In any case, it had never received the publicity that the F1 generated, which was a shame. The Dauer 962, as well as other even more rare street-legal versions of the 962 were among the fastest cars ever built. 730hp in a 2271lb car goes a long way, especially when you have enough downforce to corner at 200mph.

962lemans_1.jpg

In the realm of modern astronomically-priced supercars, I think the Veyron is overrated. Going 254 mph in a 4000+lb car that barely generates any downforce is suicide. I'll take the S7 Twin Turbo, thank you very much:

saleens7tt05.jpg

My favorite, however, has to be this (Mosler MT900 Photon supercharged):

mosler3.jpg

Lightweight, massive power, massive grip and downforce, and the best news is that it's actually somewhat affordable at $200k. Yeah, it costs as much as a vacation home down in Florida, but it's not outside the realm of possibility for a retired auto enthusiast with some funds, which is not something you can say for the competition. The photo is of an older version, but the current MT900 looks pretty much the same.

Oh, and we can't forget this little gem can we (SSC Ultimate Aero):

1.jpg

1046hp, and supposed to hit 273mph, though this has yet to be verified. I'm definitely waiting for the official confirmation. Yeah, this thing looks like a cross between a Diablo and a possum, but you can't argue with this kind of horsepower, especially in a 2500lb body. "Veyron? What Veyron? Oh, that guy behind me... kinda makes me wish I had rear visibility doesn't it..."
tongue.gif

I left out the CCR...
frown.gif

I guess that it's pretty obvious that I never much cared for muscle cars. My formula is lightweight + downforce, something that handles like a go-cart and grips like it's on rails. I'd take a race car tweaked out to be street legal like the 962 over pretty much anything.

Edit: Let's not forget the Ultima GTR, which is pretty much the king when it comes to bang for the buck. Yeah, it's a glorified kit car, but it's a 230 mph kit car that can be had for less than a BMW 5 series.

gtr.jpg

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/index.html

May 2, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #139 of 161
There will always be a place in my heart for this one: A Volvo P-1800S, 1968.

1800S.jpg

I owned and restored one, just like this one on the photo (same year and colour) 20 years ago. I moved on in life and it had to bring many years, collecting dust, in a barn, unfortunately. Eventually I sold it, and I think it has changed hands and is now hopefully a rolling classic again in Germany.

Oh chassis# 26164, where are you? <pinks a tear away>

May 2, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #141 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
As far as I know, the F1 never really held the production car speed record in the first place; the Dauer 962LM was going >251mph in 1994, though calling it a production car is really stretching the meaning of the term. I'm not sure how many Dauer 962's were built, but it's probably less than 50. In any case, it had never received the publicity that the F1 generated, which was a shame. The Dauer 962, as well as other even more rare street-legal versions of the 962 were among the fastest cars ever built. 730hp in a 2271lb car goes a long way, especially when you have enough downforce to corner at 200mph.

Bottom line is the F1 McLaren was a production line car and it's speed record verified and documented not only by various motor magazine publication editors but also by Guiness World records in 1998 making it official. Same goes for the records set by that of the Koenigsegg CCR and the record for the Veyron which were verified and documented by the editor of Road & Track magazine as of last year when he personally drove the Veyron and set the record for it. Sure there were cars that were produced and set speed records faster than that of the F1, but many of them didn't meet the minimum production number to classify it as a production line car or had there speed record documented officially.

May 2, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #142 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I still wonder what would happen if one were to shoehorn a small block 350 V8 into a Super 7 chassis with hearty sidepipes and a super charger. Assuming the chassis doesn't buckle under the weight of the engine(one would be advised to strengthen up the chassis and such), that would be something of a Cobra killer. American muscle in a British streamlined body.

Zoomzoomzoom!
biggrin.gif
Abe

Like this?
http://www.pistonheads.com/clubmans/...p?storyId=5524

biggrin.gif

May 3, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #144 of 161
At the prices of the esoteric dreamcars here posted, I would rather just keep driving a "stealth" chevy pickup with magic antitheft rust and dents, and spend the money on a Cessna Caravan (C208), put it on amphib floats, paint it in WINNEBAGO livery, complete with a generator on the right float, and curtains, a dishwasher, washer and dryer, a great selection of music, and just go gunkholin'...would be a lot more fun and useful, and friends could come along. Might even be cheaper...

...anybody just want to go hunting, fishing, and flying?

May 3, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #145 of 161
My favorite car of all time will forever be the toyota supra turbo.

At 40 thousand (no longer in production) Its not astronomically priced so I will have one (one is for starters) when I graduate college and become a police officer. Its Iron 2JZ-GTE in-line 6 engine is capable of easily producing over 1000hp+

Its going to be one of the fastest (if not the fastest) police interceptors in the world. Yes I am going to outfit it with a complete police kit, lights, sirens, the works.

The Houston Police Department Toyota Supra Turbo Interceptor.

It will be mine....

supra.jpg

supra_1000_hp.jpg

image05.jpg

1997-Toyota-Supra-Silver-b.jpg

May 4, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #146 of 161
I guess I just fell in love with the new Citroen C6 - seems like they are finally back in style:

c6ss.jpg

c6bs.jpg

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 5, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #147 of 161
May 5, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #150 of 161
2268646120088719983NWfifC_ph.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back