Post your desktop!
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #1,457 of 2,274
Enjoy!  I am really happy about making "the switch."  All of my music production hardware and software works perfectly with the Mac (except for one program which was replaced pretty easily by Apple Logic).  At this point, I can't see myself ever going back to a Windows based machine.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #1,458 of 2,274
I can't completely switch because of gaming. I'll be dual booting it but using Mac OSX outside of video games. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Enjoy!  I am really happy about making "the switch."  All of my music production hardware and software works perfectly with the Mac (except for one program which was replaced pretty easily by Apple Logic).  At this point, I can't see myself ever going back to a Windows based machine.

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,459 of 2,274
These pics are slightly old (about a month), and I'm a whole continent away from my main machine (Joyeuse), but here goes (Head-fi picture uploads are being buggy right now, so I'm using an external image host):

Internet desktop. Left monitor is Firefox, right monitor is Mumble, DestroyTwitter, Chatzilla (standalone, so I can use it w/o Firefox if I need to), and Pidgin. I also have Thunderbird running, usually, behind the Chatzilla window.

Working desktop. A recently-finished project as an example of how things look when I'm coding on my Win7 boot. Development environment on the left (usually Visual Studio or Notepad++), reference material (in this case, Chrome windows [though I've switched over to Chromium as of late]) on the right monitor. You can also see my Rocket Dock at the top of the left monitor (it's usually autohidden; I un-autohid it to show it off). From left to right:
Calculator, Notepad++, MS Paint, My Computer, Network, Control Panel, Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents, Downloads. Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Pidgin, Chatzilla, Command line, MS Visual Studio, ePSXe, PCSX2, EVE Online, foobar2000, Rocket Dock Settings, CCleaner, File Shredder, Process Explorer, Performance Monitor, Recycle Bin.

Gaming desktop. I play EVE quite a bit (it helps that I don't have to pay a whole lot of attention), so this is an example of how things look. Game on the left, other stuff (walkthroughs, FAQs, etc.; in this case, pyfa for my ship's fitting and EVEmon for my training plan) on the right.

Miscellaneous desktop. Really, it's more like "music desktop" - I keep foobar2000 over here so it doesn't hog up screen space on any other desktop. I also have ZNC running, minimized, on this window. Often, if I'm tagging music (or more accurately, fixing tags on music) I'll fire up a Chrome (well, Chromium, now) window on the right desktop. And yeah, I do use Rainmeter, though the one in this pic is an older skin layout than what I have now; evne my current one is roughly similar, though - just a single sidebar. I don't like those cluttered, "fancy" skins on account of them typically throwing up information everywhere, in some of the most awkward places. All I use Rainmeter for is a quick systems resources diagnostic, so that I don't need to switch over to my...

Maintenance desktop all the time. If I were on my Ubuntu boot, this desktop would be totally redundant, since I'd be able to do all of my maintenance through the terminal, which would sit on the Miscellaneous desktop. Sadly, Windows 7 has a crippled, half-baked, weaksauce command line that can't do nearly as many things as a *nix terminal, so I have to have a fifth desktop dedicated to dealing with system resources and running processes.

As for desktop wallpapers, I usually have Joyeuse cycling through my Wallpapers folder, which is something like... 20GB of images. Usually I'm doing this, though before I left her, I set each desktop to a different, static image.

When I get back to Joyeuse at the end of the month, I'll prossibly post updated pics. Maybe.

-- Griffinhart

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,469 of 2,274
We've had a My Little Pony sighting....time to eradicate the hooved menace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back