Post the last thing you bought. Oh fun!
Apr 4, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #286 of 11,345
yeah, I know of the stereotype of those NYC camerashops...Abe's is pretty notorious. Unfortunately, I didn't find out this was one of those until after the purchase: they make it even more of a bait and switch by having a different name and number for their refurbed stuff off E-bay. Man, teaches me to not ever trust any E-bay seller from NY
icon10.gif
Well at least they are a store with customers: means with enough b*tching they'll refund me. Sucks I have to wait a week in order to try to get them on the phone.....and then to probably have to keep calling to carry out the refund
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Problem is that they're so underhanded that if I give them a negative feedback on E-bay, that's when they'll give me a negative feedback (noticed that's the only time they'll bother to leave feedback). But I'll do that once I get my money back.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #288 of 11,345
OK, the refurbished camera just came!!!!
biggrin.gif
Looks like it's a valid refurb. Sealed box with Canon label. It also came from a Jeff Black: address is two doors down from the address from OnlySales address....yep, BROOKLYN
rolleyes.gif

Already have new 5D coming....can't cancel the order, and just feel like having a full Canon waranty now. So I'll cancel my claims and sell this Canon on Ebay!! Teaches me a lesson
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #289 of 11,345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Looks like it's a valid refurb. Sealed box with Canon label. It also came from a Jeff Black: address is two doors down from the address from OnlySales address....yep, BROOKLYN
rolleyes.gif

Already have new 5D coming....can't cancel the order, and just feel like having a full Canon waranty now. So I'll cancel my claims and sell this Canon on Ebay!! Teaches me a lesson
rolleyes.gif

Glad to hear it worked out for you! Hope you can sell it with not too much lost.
And btw...How is he??? Nice looking and feeling piece of equip ha
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #292 of 11,345
Quote:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Good deal. Glad it worked out.

Ebay is such a pain in the ass. Why don't you just send it to me. You know, in the spirit of the give away.
tongue.gif

I forgot I'm waiting on a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Will be here today.

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #293 of 11,345
Davesrose: Re: Hotbuy Electronics

I've made many, many purchases from several different NY/Brooklyn camera sellers and for the most part they've been good experiences. HotBuy Electronics was not one of those good experiences however. They offer some of the lowest prices, but definitely bait and switch. I ordered a new Sigma or Tamron lens about 3 years ago from them and after they insisted I call them long distance to "finalize" the order, I was lied to and was advised to "upgrade" to the same lens but manufactured in a different country. When I asked why, they told me the one they'd advertised had plastic filter threads while the one that cost $30.00 more had metal threads. Nikon did have a similar situation when they moved some of their manufacturing out of Japan, but I did some checking and discovered that on the non-Nikon lens I'd purchased, this was not the case. They also tried to push some low-end filters on me, saying they came out of the same factory as Nikon's.

Hot Buy is not to be trusted.

You might find this site interesting: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

This one is even more interesting...some consumer feedback on HotBuy Electronics:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Hotbuyelectronics

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #294 of 11,345
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might find this site interesting: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Oh no.....seeing those photos is more insult to injury!!! It even looks like a bad dive!! The thing is that I didn't know I was buying from Hotbuys Electronics. They have another front for their refurbished stuff on Ebay.....OnlySales, and it's two doors down (123 Taaffe Place vs 125 Taaffe Place). And Hotbuys Electronics is the same address as this Jeff Black as well....

My other photography buy on E-bay was a used EF 135mm 1:2L lens. That one was extremely quick and easy....great price on the lens too: $100 less
then Amazon. Lens looks mint. wtdphoto is to be trusted! They also aren't in Brooklyn, but Mississippi
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ebay is such a pain in the ass. Why don't you just send it to me. You know, in the spirit of the give away.

Opps....too late, it's already on E-bay
icon10.gif
I wanted to start unloading this as quickly as possible. Feel free to bid on it though
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear it worked out for you! Hope you can sell it with not too much lost.
And btw...How is he??? Nice looking and feeling piece of equip ha

Actually, I'm keeping the box sealed so that I can hopefully get more money for it. It caries a Canon 3 month warranty. I just took it and an extra extended warranty out of the shipment box to take photos of, in order to post on E-bay. If someone uses the buy now feature, I'll just be down the E-bay and/or paypal fees. Fine by me at this point!!! At least I'll still be saving a few bucks from full retail price getting the new one from Amazon.

The new 5D is coming tomorrow....so at least I don't have much time to wait. At least now I don't have to be anxious, and I can track my new toy!!! I'll be able to try it out this weekend. FINALLY!!!!

Apr 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #296 of 11,345
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dave did you jump right into DSLR with a 5D?
eek.gif

Or were you shooting film before?

This will be my first dSLR
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
Do have experience with film based SLRs....so my intro into digital just seemed fitting to get a full sensor camera. Like not having to worry about lens multipliers, or reduced lighting. Good thing is that I have all the accessories I need right now: Speedlite 580EX with diffuser, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Canon EF 135mm 2L, 8GB Sandisk card. Once I can sell the refurbed camera, I might get an EF 50mm 1.4 lens (reviews I read seemed to indicate the L series lens wasn't really worth that much more: just reduces flare). And I won't even mention how much a used 1.0 lens goes for
eek.gif
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #298 of 11,345
Well, at least with mass produced electronics: the more you wait, the more they come down in price
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
Wait one more year, and you'll have a camera that's 2 more MP with a biger sensor
icon10.gif
I can't believe how much more this 5D is compared to my old, ancient 35mm SLR (Canon AE-1). Time to join the 21st century and see what these new fangled autofocus SLRs are like
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #300 of 11,345
Quote:

Well, at least with mass produced electronics: the more you wait, the more they come down in price
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
Wait one more year, and you'll have a camera that's 2 more MP with a biger sensor
icon10.gif
I can't believe how much more this 5D is compared to my old, ancient 35mm SLR (Canon AE-1). Time to join the 21st century and see what these new fangled autofocus SLRs are like
icon10.gif

Yeah I'll definitely be getting an entry level DSLR when I graduate, I've put it off for too long.

For those looking to buy DSLR, someone passed me this link on another forum. Not sure how common knowledge it is (I'm sure you guys probably know about it)

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/ny...nd&emc=rss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back