Post/Sludge Metal after ISIS?
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 33
Glad you guys like Burst.

I agree with the Given to the Rising rec for converting new fans. The Eye of Every Storm is my favorite, but it takes a lot of patience....probably not the best one to get unless you're already a fan. Given to the Rising is as dark and heavy as almost anything I've ever heard, but it's actually strangely accessible (by Neurosis standards anyway).

This video is what officially converted me into a Neurosis fan, though:

YouTube - Neurosis "Locust Star" live

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started with Given to Rising. Amazing album. A lot of people think that TSIB is the most representative of Neurosis's output but Given to Rising is what got me in to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you guys like Burst.

I agree with the Given to the Rising rec for converting new fans. The Eye of Every Storm is my favorite, but it takes a lot of patience....probably not the best one to get unless you're already a fan. Given to the Rising is as dark and heavy as almost anything I've ever heard, but it's actually strangely accessible (by Neurosis standards anyway).

This video is what officially converted me into a Neurosis fan, though:

YouTube - Neurosis "Locust Star" live

Picked up Given to the Rising yesterday; already growing on me.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #19 of 33
I like Mogwai alot, somewhat like ISIS but not as "metal". More just soft post-rock.

Happy songs for happy people, Come on die young, Zidane a 21 century portrait are the most "ISIS" like albums in my opinion.

Sigur rós - () (untitled album, and songs lol), is pretty much like Mogwai.

The band Jesu might also be somewhat related. Somewhat slower and more "electric" sounding.

God is an astronaut may also be somewhat related. Just sweet post-rock.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 33
Sounds very interesting, although am trying to figure out much of the music is intended distortion vs. simply low quality Quicktime playback?

By the way, what other side projects has Turner been involved with?

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #22 of 33
Haha, well, the album is releasing very soon, and knowing Turner the audio quality should be good.

Turner is in Old Man Gloom, Greymachine, Lotus Eaters (w/ Stephen O'Malley), and I think he has another project with O'Malley. He might have been on a few Zozobra songs, but I know he's not on every one.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 33
Well as far as Atmospheric Sludge Metal goes (which I think Isis' genre is), I think you'd really be hard-pressed to find something better than "Panopticon."

I really like Burst as well, but just to throw out more suggestions out there (considering you've already tried Pelican, Neurosis & Cult of Luna):
  1. Battle of Mice - A Day of Nights (2006) [extreme female vocals by Julie Christmas, btw. amazing.]
  2. Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment (2007)
  3. The Ocean - Precambrian (2007) or Fluxion (2004)
  4. Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive (2005)
  5. Mouth of the Architect - The Ties That Blind (2006)

Try those out first, let's see how they suit you
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long Distance Calling - Avoid the Light
Jakob - Cale/Drew

Just wanted to reinforce those two albums, the latter especially. Semaphore is an amazing track... the distortion kicks my ass.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 33
Is it just me, or does Given to the Rising by Neurosis sound like a more complex and slightly heavier Kyuss?
Well, I guess the correct way to express the above would be that Kyuss is a stoner-rock version of Neurosis...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back