Post Rock recommendations for a newbie
Mar 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

boost3d

100+ Head-Fier
Discovered this genre unknowingly through the "Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing" thread. I'm missing out on albums and artists not setup on Bandcamp. Would you guys be so kind as to recommend some albums and artists to solidify my beginner collection? I like the no vocals stuff but would be open to female vocals as well. 

Thanks. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 7
THE band you must check out when it comes to post-rock is Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Others groups I would recommend off the top of my head are Sigur Rós (most of their stuff isn't instrumental, though) and MONO (you can buy their stuff on Bandcamp so you might've ran into them). Another well-known group is Mogwai, but I've never actually listened to them myself. I guess the later stuff by Talk Talk is considered post-rock as well. I HIGHLY recommend checking out Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, both are masterpieces and widely considered to be some of the best albums ever made.

Edit:
If you don't mind a heavier sound, on the metal side of things group called Isis is well worth checking out. Oceanic and Panopticon are both incredible albums. Of those two, the latter is probably the easier one to get into at first, but I personally find myself preferring Oceanic after hearing it enough times to learn to appreciate it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you for the recommendations. More is welcomed. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Here is a pretty good place to start:

http://mu4chan.wikia.com/wiki/Post-Rock_Essentials

Compiled with recommendations from the /mu/ (music) board at 4chan. I agree with TJ Elite's recommendation of GY!BE, that's pretty quintessential post rock. The Talk Talk albums (Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden) are sort of considered the first post rock albums, along with Spiderland by Slint. Call it a happy accident!

Anyway, work your way down the list in the link I sent you and see what you like. I'd say pay particular attention to the releases by GY!BE and Mogwai since these are the most 'genre-defining' as such. But I'd really check out Talk Talk if I were you, despite the male vocals that your opening posts suggests you're not really looking for.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 7
My favorites from the linked list are Russian Circles "Enter" and Red Sparowes "Every Red Heart Shines Toward The Red Sun". Neither have vocals. The former's a bit heavier. Really besides Tortoise and Stereolab I haven't heard much from that list, so I'll have to do some research as well! I second Pelican as well.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm a pretty avid post rock fan. My recommendations would be:

Hymn to the Immortal Wind by Mono
The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place by Explosions in the Sky
Happy Songs For Happy People by Mogwai
Other Truths by Do. Make. Say. Think.
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back