Post Relatively Less Compressed Popular music of the past 10 years.
Jul 21, 2006 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for the usual Top40 sorta pop/rock music released in the past decade whos dynamic range hasnt been killed [some compression will have to allowed to increase the number of entries
frown.gif
].

Start posting ! And no,dont flame me for being a pop lover.I love and own many jazz and metal albums.

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 13
Try:

The Innocence Mission: Glow
Singer similar to The Sundays Harriet Wheeler mixed with Natalie Merchant, sort of. Very good. Guitarist makes some unique guitar sounds.

Dada: Puzzle
Remember the goofy song "Dizz Knee Land?" This is them, but the rest of the CD is 100x better. A good, uncompressed song is the last one "Moon". GREAT harmonies, and the guitarist smokes!

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm not sure I understand the obsession with "compression". It's not necessarily a bad thing - lots of music benefits greatly from it. It helps to recreate the live peformance experience in some cases.

Having said this: Some uncompressed pop music: White Willow - Sacrament (although this is more prog than pop I suppose).

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
I'm not sure I understand the obsession with "compression". It's not necessarily a bad thing - lots of music benefits greatly from it. It helps to recreate the live peformance experience in some cases.

Yes, all recordings use compression, but overuse of compression is ALWAYS a bad thing. Have you listened to pop/rock radio recently? It's horrible. No dynamic range whatsoever.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Einstürzende Neubauten, Silence is Sexy (well, all of their recent albums, from Tabula Rasa on, are extremely well recorded)

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
Yes, all recordings use compression, but overuse of compression is ALWAYS a bad thing. Have you listened to pop/rock radio recently? It's horrible. No dynamic range whatsoever.

Yes. It's really *overcompression* that people are "obsessed" with, but some people just refer to 'compression' as being the problem (when admittedly it's not).

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 13
As far as I know, almost all recorded pop/rock music uses compression. A lot of the more modern stuff over-uses compression, and the recordings are so hot that they distort and soud like s**t.

With that said, here are a handful of modern music that do not over use compression, and do not distort, and are overall very good recordings:

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Hydrogyn - Bombshell
Deadsoul Tribe - The Januray Tree

I will add some more once I am in front of my music collection...

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 13
No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" isn't that bad off. Their later stuff is horribly redlined tho.

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 13
Brian Wilson, SMiLE is one of the most well-produced pop albums i've heard in years. good dynamic range, inky blacks, no distortion.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Primus - Pork Soda. Little older than 10 years but I was so surprised at how incredibly well recorded this cd is that I just had to list it here. Tons of texture, soundstage, and air. One of the tracks is almost binaural in nature. Really great cd.

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 13
"Wildflowers" by Tom Petty sounds very nice, and the music is great too.

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 13
Is it just me who fails to understand how anything can be achieved by over compressing commercial pressings? For promos which go to radio, I can sort of understand the desire to make your single louder than a competitors, but what is the point on retail albums? Firstly once you've bought it they already have their money, secondly when you listen to an album you aren't a/bing between one artist's song and another, and thirdly, I don't know about most of you lot, but I have a thing called a volume control on my listening equipment. I'm perfectly able to set it to a volume I like. It doesn't need bugger all dynamic range to help me! /RANT

Anyway, I think No More Shall We Part by Nick Cave is quite a good CD in this respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back