Post purchase anxiety
Apr 25, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 35
Six months on Head-F1 and 20 pairs of phones later - I still get post-purchase angst...which soon passes once I order again. Tis truly an addiction we have, and I believe that Head-Fi should be funding some form of counselling/psycho-therapy.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #17 of 35
I do a bit as well, but I tend to over-research everything I purchase so any regret passes very quickly. Only if something breaks do I get major post-purchase anxiety.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 35
I'm having some right now.... I just purchased a new DT880 after my other one died. I did not need to spend an extra $$$ today.....

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #19 of 35
That happens with just about every electronics purchase I've ever made, even when I buy used. The " ****, I shouldn't have done that" feeling always goes away after I get to use it for a while and find that I did buy the right product for the right reasons.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 35
Haven't in a long time, but I can see how you could have it if you bought without hearing alot of what is out there. I was lucky enough to have heard many headphones before my first serious headphone purchase and haven't regretted one since.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do a bit as well, but I tend to over-research everything I purchase so any regret passes very quickly. Only if something breaks do I get major post-purchase anxiety.
rolleyes.gif

I over-researched as well when I got my HD555's, and had serious anxiety when I first got them. I mean, they sounded good--but would those AD700's have sounded better?

Then, after just the first 10 hours of break-in, I realized I was on to something.

Added a decent soundcard, a good preamp headphone stage for my amp...things kept getting better.

Did one of the many mods you can do on these phones....even better.

70 hours on the clock now...and they still keep on getting better.

Yeah, I'm over it now.
happy_face1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 35
Every single time. I purchased a rs-1 and senn 650 in a weeks span, i dont know what came over me...All this with a pair of only 3 month old grado 325i's lol. I used to work for apple at one point, and we had a term for it when someone bought something and returned it because they didnt know why they bought it. In the register computer there was an option for return -> buyers remorse. The second I think I have that, I just turn on some tunes and instantly remember why its worth it.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having it right now with the brand new 595's that showed up on my porch today. LOL

For some reason I assumed you meant they just appeared, you know like abandoned, in a moses basket, with a teary note. That would rock.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #25 of 35
Best thing is to stop researching and trying to justify purchase by reading other favorable reviews.

Just sit back and enjoy your purchase! Soon you forget the anxiety and start loving your music.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 35
mbd, you are too right. I have always got extreme enjoyment from my music from this hi-fi, the monitor audio RS-1 speakers convey a great deal of detail, and sometimes I do like to fill the room with music. These Grados however take me into orbit. I was able to hear Ben Harper's fingers rub against his guitar strings, hear the puddle of the keys on Warren Zevon's piano. This is why I spent my evenings just listening. Nothing else, not background music, just me, the music, the couch and the cans

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieVedder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mbd, you are too right. I have always got extreme enjoyment from my music from this hi-fi, the monitor audio RS-1 speakers convey a great deal of detail, and sometimes I do like to fill the room with music. These Grados however take me into orbit. I was able to hear Ben Harper's fingers rub against his guitar strings, hear the puddle of the keys on Warren Zevon's piano. This is why I spent my evenings just listening. Nothing else, not background music, just me, the music, the couch and the cans

Thats what its all about
smily_headphones1.gif

I think your original point is not just confined to headphones, but is rather a matter of consumerism in general. Personally, the minute I buy something I get excited and try it out and love it, but then within weeks Im looking for ways to buy something better and go to the next level. For example...I spent months debating which HDTV to buy and now i read the ads every week to see what better/newer ones I could invest in. I just bought some Denon 5000's and absolutely love them, but now I want to buy more headphones haha
biggrin.gif
...but I am slowly realizing that I need to just relax and enjoy what I HAVE. Capitalism runs off of rapid production and it will always be impossible to keep up with the "latest and greatest" so why bother? I still can't answer that question sadly
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 35
Well, being an autist, I really know what you mean.
I'm doubting about everything all the time, but headphones the most.

Apr 27, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieVedder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These Grados however take me into orbit. I was able to hear Ben Harper's fingers rub against his guitar strings, hear the puddle of the keys on Warren Zevon's piano. This is why I spent my evenings just listening. Nothing else, not background music, just me, the music, the couch and the cans

well why are you anxious about the HD595s then? Just enjoy them

To give you a bit of extra comfort, I think you made the right choice...judging from your nickname.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #30 of 35
The best way I've found to alleviate post purchase anxiety is to address pre purchase anxiety first, through extensive due diligence.

It sounds like you addressed the pre purchase anxiety by selecting the HD595s but dropped the ball by purchasing the SR-80s.

Human nature being what it is, it's no wonder your second guessing yourself now.

The quickest way out of your dilemma is to test the HD595s and that will either justify your purchase, or you'll realize that you made a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back