Post purchase anxiety
Apr 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

EddieVedder

New Head-Fier
I don't know if any of you guys get this but occasionally I do. I have recently bought a pair of Grado SR-80s as my local store were out of my original choice (Sennheiser HD595s) the grados are excellent, however as always after having purchased them, I find myself doubting and scrambling to justify my choice and achieve inner peace.

Does anyone else get this? An obsession over a choice both before and after?

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 35
I'm tempted now to go test the HD595s, although they're sold elsewhere and that would involve refunds etc, perhaps thats a pandoras box I don't want to open, I can always buy the 595s aswell at some point!
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 35
My trick is to realize that just about everything I own is best at something. Call it self-delusion, call it applied placebo, whatever. I enjoy the hell out of every pair of cans I own, from my humble little SR80s (don't let anyone tell you those are bad cans) to my brand new HD650s. Don't fret the small stuff!

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 35
I did when I bought sr225 instead of sr80. Now I am really happy I did buy sr225 over sr80. I believe I am enjoying my music more than I would do with the sr80 :p

but, on the downside I have spent more money than I would have spent if I had bought the sr80... And I still need a DAC
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 35
Lol, Eddie Vedder is a screwing god.

Back on topic, though, I think there's always that sense of "What if..?" but you just have to ask yourself if you like what you got and whether it's reasonable to suppose that the other choice was better. And in the case of SR80s, it's also good to keep in mind the fact that they aren't very expensive and you'll have many opportunities to buy HD595s or better in the future.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 35
Not much you can do about those feelings until you've heard a ton of stuff. It takes time to refine your palette and really tune in on the sound that works best for you. Perfection will cost you even if your perfect headphone is cheap... you've got to step over a lot of stuff to get to it no matter what.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not much you can do about those feelings until you've heard a ton of stuff. It takes time to refine your palette and really tune in on the sound that works best for you. Perfection will cost you even if your perfect headphone is cheap... you've got to step over a lot of stuff to get to it no matter what.

Completely agree with this. I have gone through about 10 pairs of headphones: some new, some used, some cheap and some very expensive. I don't regret any purchase even if I thought the odd one sounded sounded like crap, it is all about finding your taste. I personally don't think auditioning equipment works for me, it is only through time do I really know if I like it. Most cans sound great the first time, new and exciting, then only after I hear them with different types of music do I "understand" their sound. Have patience.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 35
Yeah, I get that often, especially after I've chosen a product but just before I buy it. My family and friends avoid me before I buy anything over $50, lol! I research the bejeberz out of the item.

Usually after all that it's a relief to actually buy them and I don't have remorse afterwards, but lately with my last headphone and computer I only had a day of "new thing bliss" before doubt set in. I hate that.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 35
Sometimes I get that obsession after I buy something. I definitely have that obsession before buying the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back