Post classical "classical" recommendations?
Jul 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
So I’m after some classical CD’s as my collection is a little thin in this area. I'm not really into early, renaissance or Baroque stuff. I don’t mind classical, but I prefer something a little later from the romantic era.

I would like something intense, emotional and moody but given my ignorance of who the best composers are and which are the best performances, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Orchestral music is fine, and my favourite instruments are the cello (I have Elgar already, by the way) and piano.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 8
On the cello front, you might be interested in the two-disc set: Beethoven, The Complete Works for Piano and Cello by Alfred Brendel and his son Adrian. I know that Baroque is not your thing, but the Bach Cello Suites is something you might want to hear at some point as it's a singularity in terms of writing for the unaccompanied cello.

Strongly recommend to do a search on youtube for "cello" and sample the Boccherini and other hits that come up. Sometime just a few minutes of youtube will tell you if a work will suit your taste.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, speaking about strictly post classical era composers and no classical-romantic transitional composers like Beethoven or Schubert:

Romantic:
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Johannes Brahms
Richard Wagner
Giuseppe Verdi
Frédéric Chopin
Antonín Dvořák
Anton Bruckner

20th Century (Some are more accurately romantic - 20th Century transitional):
Gustav Mahler
Claude Debussy
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Arnold Schoenberg
Richard Strauss
Jean Sibelius
Sergei Prokofiev
Igor Stravinsky

There, these are some of the biggest names. I know I have left out some important ones, but this should do for a while. If you want a starting point I recommend starting with Tchaikovsky and Mahler's symphonies. You can search head-fi for specific recording recommendations.

And if you are looking for Cello works I highly recommend that you grab a copy of this: 2 of the greatest Cello works in 1 CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Dvor%C3%A1k-Co...7237876&sr=8-1

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 8
As usual, Head-fi is proving to be an expensive forum to be a member of....

Thanks for the recommendations. I've listen to previews of a few of these and my basket is starting to fill. Oops.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 8
51erAR-6SLL._SS500_.jpg

51VTCmzvwsL._SS500_.jpg

HENKEL001.jpg

51vQRXLAMhL._SS500_.jpg

51Cejnb7jFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

517N6Q5Cu0L._SS500_.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gustav Mahler, Check out his 2nd symphony. I don't think it'll let you down, even though it's almost pushing modernism.

Mahler seems a little a-musical to me! Just my opinion... I love more musical
composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky etc etc...

I particularly like Mozart's chamber works for wood-wind instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back