Post CanJam Withdrawals? in SoCal? We Got You Covered on 10/1/2022! (Head-Fi Meet by Rosson Audio)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #46 of 68
Here was my setup. Not too shabby imo.

517032E1-515F-498F-AD83-5FE538C8076F.jpeg

Thanks again to @Rosson Audio for hosting. I had an amazing first community meet. A few impressions.

Piety definitely surprised me with how much dynamic range it had compared to Magni 3 from memory which was compressed sounding.

There were several great pairings at the meet. One pairing that comes to mind was the Crimson and LFF Code-X. That amp can run this HE-6 variant with exceptional speed and bass heft.

Forge and RAD-0 showcased a wide dynamic range, focused imaging, and euphony. This combo doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

For a headphone without ear cups, the K1000 yielded a surprising amount of bass. A highly satisfying headphone. Its owner Chris was lucky to snag this rare gem years ago. Now I have my eye out for one.

It was a pleasure sharing this experience with everyone. To borrow a saying, may we continue to galvanize this bond with pizza.

Cheers to you all.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #48 of 68
@jurumal had a great time sharing the table with you. the he6se was very impressive to me!
Likewise man! I also enjoyed sharing the table with you. Kind of a happy coincidence too that we also have similar tuning preferences as well. Again, the K1000 👌

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #50 of 68
A huge thank you to Rosson for hosting this get together. Since I did not have the pleasure to attend SoCal CanJam, this was a fantastic alternative! I was really glad to have been able to attend! Here’s just a handful of photos that I took, most of which were likely as people were still getting set up, so my apologies to those who showed up later with gear or just yourselves and are not pictured here.

It was great to meet you all, listen to lots of different things, and chat with you fantastic folks!

(Apologies… the pictures are all out of order!)

Great pics! All the f/2.0 bokeh

Copied from elsewhere:

Definitely big shout out and appreciation to @rosson and his crew for being very gracious hosts to us!

Always fun to see so many familiar faces and meet new people in the hobby and see what weird stuff people have been up to.

A few standout items I remember:
1. Piety - Can't wait to compare it to the liquid spark for the work desk set-up. It's not as warm and there's a little Magni shining through, but I think a Piety+modi multibit is going to be a real winning combo. I think it outperforms the spark on a technical level, so this may become the de facto new entry level warm amp.

2. ETA Mini C/S - Might be the best out of the box headphone tuning I've heard on a headphone.

3. Modded LCD-4 - I don't think this person has much of an online presence but really enjoyed clarity / unmuddying of the bass on this mod. The treble sounded much more even. In many ways this sounded like a different headphone that just shared technical performance with the stock LCD-4. I started to see the LCD-4's driver potential here

4. Atrium / Bakoon Stack - It's always fun to listen to the Bakoon gear, it just rarely shows up anymore. Atrium was really pleasant. First time I heard a ZMF headphone get to the technical performance I would want to hear to start to consider it.

5. RAD-0 - I was really impressed with this headphone. This headphone breaks the prevalent winds of planars having thinner and thinner drivers and sounding more like Stax with light fluffy bass. It's bass has heft and weight, but the driver also scales really well and still pulls low level detail. It's reminiscent of the older Audeze and older Hifiman headphones, but with more refinement. Build is quite excellent and also nails comfort, but clamp was a bit strong for me.

Also look @Insidious Meme I'm on head-fi too!

It was a good time and lots of fun! Great group of headphone fans.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Here was my setup. Not too shabby imo.

517032E1-515F-498F-AD83-5FE538C8076F.jpeg

Thanks again to @Rosson Audio for hosting. I had an amazing first community meet. A few impressions.

Piety definitely surprised me with how much dynamic range it had compared to Magni 3 from memory which was compressed sounding.

There were several great pairings at the meet. One pairing that comes to mind was the Crimson and LFF Code-X. That amp can run this HE-6 variant with exceptional speed and bass heft.

Forge and RAD-0 showcased a wide dynamic range, focused imaging, and euphony. This combo doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

For a headphone without ear cups, the K1000 yielded a surprising amount of bass. A highly satisfying headphone. Its owner Chris was lucky to snag this rare gem years ago. Now I have my eye out for one.

It was a pleasure sharing this experience with everyone. To borrow a saying, may we continue to galvanize this bond with pizza.

Cheers to you all.

Big thanks to everyone coming and posting their post-event feedback. We hope to host another sometime in two months.

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #52 of 68
Dang i didnt see this. that there’s another meetup in socal..
any enthusiast/audiophiles in Orange county???

We'll get another one going in the month in half or so.

Schiit is also starting to host meets again, and I would encourage you to attend those. Info will be posted on @Jason Stoddard's main Schiit thread and their socials.

I do know a few of these folks are from OC, so I'll let them out themselves!

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #53 of 68
We'll get another one going in the month in half or so.

Schiit is also starting to host meets again, and I would encourage you to attend those. Info will be posted on @Jason Stoddard's main Schiit thread and their socials.

I do know a few of these folks are from OC, so I'll let them out themselves!
Is there any way to sign up for notifications for SoCal events. I check the forum every so periodically so am prone to miss out on these.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 68
Is there any way to sign up for notifications for SoCal events. I check the forum every so periodically so am prone to miss out on these.

Unfortunately, not yet - we'll be sure to think about some way to implement an automatic notification for new events!

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #55 of 68
Dang i didnt see this. that there’s another meetup in socal..
any enthusiast/audiophiles in Orange county???

I’m an Orange County resident! (City of Orange, specifically) Would love another get together soon and in the OC, too.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #56 of 68
Meets like this make me wish I lived closer to SoCal so I could attend these meets regularly.

Alex, Alex, and Sankar along with the local Portland/Seattle Cavalli fans are the people who got me hooked on the sound qualities of good headphone audio back around 2010. Before that I was of the belief that a HD580/HD600 and a $200 headphone amp was all I'd need. Now look at me. A couple $3000 Cavalli amps, a couple $1K+ Audeze headphones. And I still want to experience and own better.

I'd love to go to a meet in SoCal at Rosson Audio and bring my 2011 era Liquid Fire, and 2011 era LCD-2r2. And listen to a new production RAD-0. I've never been able to listen to a RAD-0 yet. I'm pretty sure I'd like it a lot with my gear.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #57 of 68
Am so glad I got to meet Alexis from Musicians Hearing Solutions, who brought the IEMs to our meetup on October 1st and told us about the consulting firm in Beverly Hills. This afternoon (Thursday, Oct. 27th), I just got my ear-impression molds made there, and got my Jerry Harvey Sharonas ordered, along with a pair of custom musician earplugs and custom sleep earplugs!

Great, professional, and friendly service. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #58 of 68
Am so glad I got to meet Alexis from Musicians Hearing Solutions, who brought the IEMs to our meetup on October 1st and told us about the consulting firm in Beverly Hills. This afternoon (Thursday, Oct. 27th), I just got my ear-impression molds made there, and got my Jerry Harvey Sharonas ordered, along with a pair of custom musician earplugs and custom sleep earplugs!

Great, professional, and friendly service. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your Sharona! Can't go wrong. @AJ DiMambro will be happy to hear!

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #60 of 68
@Sebastien Chiu @DiscoProJoe That's great! We also have an office in CenterStaging in Burbank if you ever want to check it out!

I thought about going there, but the place in Beverly Hills is a lot closer to where I live. If I'm ever up there in Burbank when the office is open, though, then I might swing by and say hi if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back