POST CANJAM THOUGHTS ON STAX, SENNHEISER, AKG and the STATE of the ART
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
This was my first CANJAM and I must first thank all involved in the preparation for a first class job, and the many presenters for allowing us all to hear and see their equipment.

This conference is truly remarkable in its presentation of the top tier of equipment, set up by its users who mix and match their equipment to give its best sound, as they hear it, not like commercial sellers, who mainly want to present their own product lines. Even more remarkable is the diversity of equipment on display and the fact that those present are given such freedom to play around with this equipment.

I was blown away by the fact that most presenters set up their displays, often with $5 0-10K or more of equipment and then just walked away and allowed others to treat this stuff as their own.

So CANJAM was a great opportunity to get to learn about whatever drives you in the headphone audio sphere.

For me personally, in addition to putting on a display to compare the Sigma Pro with the Sigma/404,

1) I wanted to audition the bigger electrostatic amps,1;
2) I also brought with me an Omega 007mK2 to compare with the Mk 1 ;
3) I wanted to hear several other electrostatic phones such as the Sennheiser HE 90, and HEAudio and
4) I wanted to hear some of the better dynamic phones such as the AKG K1000 and Sennheiser 800.

As regards the Sigma Pro vs the Sigma/404, while the Pro is very good, the 404 is a notably better, other than the 404 taking a bit longer to warm up than the Pro. It has more bass and importantly more treble, which given the serious treble roll-off of all Sigmas, is a major improvement. One of the listeners aptly described the 404 as more "refined." The Pro has, by default more mid-range and may work better for some music that needs that kind of bost, but generally the Sigma/404 goes from slightly to significantly better on most material

THE BIGGER AMPS

I spent some time hauling the Sigma/404 around to various bigger amps. Because MIKEYMAD was set up right next to me I spent more free time listening to his Singlepower Amp than anything else.

singlepower.jpg

(picture by amp)

For me, the more interesting comparison was the 007's with the Sigma/404. In my own set-up with a Stax 717 amp, the 007 Mk2 is definitely a more dynamic phone, i.e. there is more loud/soft contrast, what some people would call pace rhythm and timing (PRAT), more accurate tonality, and more stable imaging. However, with MIKEYMAD's amp, the Sigma/404 improved marekedly, and the differences between these two phones became much less obvious. Certainly the Sigma/404 was still rolled off at the top end compared to the 007, but in other respects it became a much more detailed phone, with of course the deep soundstage given by the forward-mounted drivers, that no other phones, other than the AKG K100 attempts to provide.

Bear in mind that the Sigma/404 is an even harder phone to drive than the Omega, because it is even less efficient. One of the more striking things I noted was that with the big amp some of the high notes in my test record by the tenor Pavarotti, which sounded harsh on the 717, really opened up and became much smoother with virtually no distortion. As well there was a marked increase in ambient information, although in some instances maybe too much. All of the Sigmas tend to emphasize ambience possibly because of their lower mid/upper bass boom.

I listened to 4 or five other big amps, another Singlepower the size of a car engine and 2 Blue Hawaii's and again could easily hear the advantages of these amps over the 717. The Blue Hawaii BHSE however seemed more punchy and drier, a quality which worked well with the Sigma/404 in reducing the boominess mentioned above.

2) As regards the MK 1 and Mk 2 007, I feel pretty comfortable saying there was not much to choose between them. The Mk 1 is a great set of phones, but so is the Mk2, at least as I use them, with the flattened spring in the ear cup, as Spritzer has described, and with the ear pad turned so that the circular portion is behind the ear. Of these two mods, I would say the spring mod is most important for smoothing out the treble and bass peakiness that otherwise appears.

3) I was able to get brief listens to the Sennheiser HE90 and the HE Audio stats. To me they both looked and sounded somewhat the same, very airy and clean. But I didn't really get enough time to make comparisons between them or with my 007mK2 or Sigma/Pro.

4) I finally had a chance to hear some better dynamic rigs. Firstly again because of MIKEYMADS proximity I heard his AKG K1000. A fascinating little phone, somewhat like the Sigmas in conception with the forward mounted drivers (although dynamic). The sound was adjustable by swinging the drivers in and out from the ears and this changed both the soundfield and frequency response. These were a lot of fun to play with. I would have thought that an enclosureless phone would have a lot of problems from the back wave coming round to cancel the front wave, but these worked quite well.

I also heard a number of Sennheiser 650 and 800 set-ups. The balanced set-ups by Headroom were notably better than the unbalanced set-ups. Their balanced 800 set-up was surprisingly close to the best 007 set-up, possibly with a bit more dynamics although not so much as you would really care. However, Headroom used a formidable looking Krell top loadng CD player which may very well have added to some of the quality of this set-up.

On balance I was left admiring the quality of these dynamics but not wanting to change over. While most of the top-tier systems whether electrostatic or dynamic seemed to be moving towards a similar sound, there was still a residual graininess to the dynamics which would annoy me after many years of stat sound. Certainly most of the top dynamics had better dynamics but not the clarity that even the cheaper electrostatics have. The best ones were also more expensive than the cheaper stats and were moving into the 007 and Stax amp price territory, although not as costly as an 007 with a Blue Hawaii or Singlepower amp.

RANDOM THOUGHTS

There were a lot of Stax 007's in evidence but few Stax amps. I don't recall seeing any Stax tube amps or even many transistor amps.

As regards tubes, is it really not possible to make a transistor amp to rival the amps like the Blue Hawaii?

Is the AKG K1000 design something that could be copied with stat drivers. What about some 404 drivers? Even better, what about some 007 drivers mounted this way???

Anyway it was a great experience and I had time on Saturday night to attend a production of the LA Opera, a very fine production of La Traviata, after attending 2 previous doubtful productions (Rheingold and Valkure) and an outright mess (Butterfly). One of of four isn't that great for a major company. I hope the Lakers can do better in the finals.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, Headroom used a formidable looking Krell top loadng CD player which may very well have added to some of the quality of this set-up.

I believe it was only a transport.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

2) As regards the MK 1 and Mk 2 007, I feel pretty comfortable saying there was not much to choose between them. The Mk 1 is a great set of phones, but so is the Mk2, at least as I use them, with the flattened spring in the ear cup, as Spritzer has described, and with the ear pad turned so that the circular portion is behind the ear. Of these two mods, I would say the spring mod is most important for smoothing out the treble and bass peakiness that otherwise appears.

I was almost shocked by the difference in midbass quantity bet. OII Mk I and Mk II, directly compared on BHSE. Hard to believe this can be easily fixed by simple mods, but I hope that's true. Another thing is the bit more grainy/peaky texture of Mk II in upper-midrange, but the difference here was nowhere as much as in the bass...

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was almost shocked by the difference in midbass quantity bet. OII Mk I and Mk II, directly compared on BHSE. Hard to believe this can be easily fixed by simple mods, but I hope that's true. Another thing is the bit more grainy/peaky texture of Mk II in upper-midrange, but the difference here was nowhere as much as in the bass...

The basic phones seem to have the same cabling and drivers. the differences are that the Mk1 is more sealed, the MkII has an open port and the earpads of the MkII are deeper. Theoretically it seems to me that you should be able to tweak these two phones so that they sound the same.

I should mention that Spritzer theorizes that in spite of the apparent similarity of the drivers there may be a difference such as tensioning of the diaphragm between the two. It's obviously hard for the user to determine this.

A few years back I was expecting to buy the O2 when the new MkII was announced. So I waited for it. Then some Headfiers started complaining, so I waited some more. Finally, I think after Spritzer announced his modification experiments I finally bought the MkII.

I found I was pretty happy with the basic MkII sound.

hthttp://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113...a-381915/tp://

But finally accepted that it was uneven and somewhat lacking in deep bass. I found that my Lambda 404 had deeper bass.

I spent some time fiddling with the Spritzer tweaks

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

I would have expected the port blocking to have the greatest effect, but when I tried it the bass was overwhelming. For me, the spring mod worked the best. It also seemed to create a partial seal I think because the edges of the pads were now partly covering the port. I was now getting more electrostatic "fart," which is a sign of an airtight enclosure although not as much as the MkI. The spring mod somewhat lowers the profile of the pads. I did not try the spring mod and the port blocking together so this may be something to look into.

I suspect there is a "standing wave" issue in the enclosure. Just as you can hear some bass frequencies increase and decrease in amplitude at different places in a room, especially a small room, I suspect you get the same effect in earcups of phones. Stax seems to have made the MkII pads too deep so that most listeners get a somewhat peaky bass.

I have also tried just compressing the pads as I wear them and think this gives a more even frequency response. I guess if you just compressed them mechanically for several days you might get a good result, but so far I am not prepared to risk being wrong and having to pay $130.00 for new pads.

The earpad swiveling was somewhat less important but anyone can try this. The pads are easily to swivel and Stax doesn't even specify the "correct orientation" just adjust to make the bass better. However, you may have to forcefully bend the headband so that the phones have the right pressure and seal around the ears. I found this was a bit of a pain to get right.

I did like the MkI sound, but once you get the bass straightened away, the MkII has a bit more bite and brightness and I recall even Spritzer acknowledging that some might prefer this sound.

At any rate Stax is only making the MkII so that's it or the second hand market.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you listen to the RSA A10 or Woo WES?

I believe I heard the A10 too briefly to judge other than that it sounded more like the other big amps than my 717 but did not hear the Wu even though I spent some time on Sunday trying to find it. So much stuff looked the same and some of the rooms were very dim so you could hardly see the names on the amps or tables.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 45
Great writeup Ed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

As regards tubes, is it really not possible to make a transistor amp to rival the amps like the Blue Hawaii?

The limiting factor here are the transistors available to us. Most can only handle 900v which doesn't even strain the tubes by comparison. The KGSS is no slouch though and can be modified a bit by increasing the bias on the output devices. I'm aware of only one amp like that though and the builder moved on to a BH...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's just a matter of knowing what to fix but a fully modded SR-007A/mk2 is nearly identical to the Mk1. Stax did mess with the drivers a bit so they are a tad more forward which sounds quite nice to my ears and is the reason I bought a SR-007Mk2 recently for my colllection.

I have my contacts in Japan searching for a cheap SR-007A which I would then mod and send to the big meets and senior members for comparison. No joy yet but something will turn up...

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 45
I listened to Woo Audio's WES Prototype (absolutely gorgeous amp) paired with a Stax SR-007MK2, and it didn't impress me that much to be honest. It's probably due to the fact that the area wasn't the ideal listening environment, and audible memory is terrible, but there wasn't a lot that made me go WOW. Several people I've talked to said that they didn't like the source, a Denon CDP.

That being said, I was less impressed with the HD600 and HD650 @ both the Woo Audio and HeadRoom areas, even recabled/balanced versions - Jack had a HD650 + 600 recabled in UPOCC wire which almost looked bare but im sure was teflon covered. Again, I've read about the Sennheiser veil, and supposedly a good aftermarket cable is suppose to remove the veil, but I detected a less open sound than compared to a Grado. The HD800 was definitely on a different level from the other Sennheiser, it's a terrific headphone, but IMO doesn't offer quite as much for the amount you have to spend.

The Grado PS1000 truly wowed me with its immersive, three dimensional sound, and by 3D i mean front, forward, side to side, AND backwards, which was enjoying and spooky at the same time.

Listened to some AKG 701s @ HeadRoom area, and I didn't feel like they were as cold/sterile as everyone says they are, perhaps a good pairing with HeadRoom amps

Again, take everything with a grain of salt, I'm sure if I had spent a more intimate time with the headphones I could have a better understanding of their sonic signatures.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 45
Thanks for the opinions. I was interested in the high-end electrostatic vs. dynamic impressions.

Tubes go very well with stats because they swing huge voltage. That is hard to do with transistors.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 45
Really great write-up. Thanks a lot!
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 45
This is a great thread. Thanks, Ed!

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you listen to the RSA A10 or Woo WES?

Personally, I was on an electrostat quest and spent a lot of time on Woo WES, RSA A10, ES1, ES2 directly A-B'ing as many 'stats as I could locate, borrow, bring myself.

Comparison of original Omega, OII, OII Mk II was an interesting exercise and very illuminating. Comparison of HE Audio, HE90, HE60 (stock and Headphile modded) was another interesting exercise as well. Then comparing the Staxes with Senn/HE Audio brought it all together conceptually for me.

Since I already own HE Audio and Senn HE60 (woodied), I was glad to find that BHSE can make them sound awesome, not just the Omega series. ES-1 and ES-2 also sound great driving them, but If I am looking to buy an Omega of some sort (which I am), I do feel BHSE would be the amp needed.

But then, I was surprised to find how well some of the non-Spritzer-approved amps drove OII's. If I already owned these amps and OII's, I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to go out and buy BHSE to feel complete.

I then went home, fired up my single-ended tube amp (teflon caps, sweet tubes) + SRD7 MkII, and this combo has its own single-ended midranage magic that I didn't really hear at CanJam.

Perhaps I need to forget my 'stat/amp purchasing plans in this tough economy and just buy the HD800 instead. I tell you, HD800 + Eddie Current Zana Deux or Balancing Act almost makes me want to go back to dynamics again (but not quite
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back