Possibly looking to switch headphones - need recommendations (musical preferences and setup information provided)
Nov 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bigbenrfan99

100+ Head-Fier
Earlier this year, I got into the world of somewhat high quality headphones when I purchased the Shure SRH840 for $140.  I really like them, and I have been listening to music much more than ever before since I purchased them.  They completely blow the other very cheap headphones I have owned out of the water.  That is the thought that lingers in my head, though.  I haven't heard any other headphones that are even decent (the best I had previously owned were the Sennheiser HD 202 and Sharkoon X-tatic SR).

I currently have a HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC and the Fiio E11 amp, although I COULD be willing to sell those and MAYBE upgrade to the Magni and Modi, but definitely nothing above that.  I listen to music on a laptop.  Portability is not an issue.  Isolation and leakage are not really important to me.  I am only looking for OVER EAR headphones.

Here is some of the music I listen to, arranged in tiers (no particular order within the tiers):

Tier 1 (easily the most important):
Pink Floyd
Guns N' Roses
Def Leppard
Avenged Sevenfold

Tier 2:
The Church
Radiohead
Metallica
Boston
Black Sabbath
Queen
R.E.M.
Rush
Elton John
Hair metal and power ballads in general

Tier 3:
Led Zeppelin
U2
Beatles
Van Halen
The Clash
Dio
The Who
Bullet for My Valentine
Ozzy
Rainbow
Deep Purple
Buckethead

The rest of my music consists of mostly classic rock and classic metal, with some 90s rock and more modern rock, and a very small amount of rap.  I'm looking for ONLY 1 pair of headphones that best suits most of my musical preferences (I would either keep the SRH840 or sell it and get something else).  If you have any recommendations, I would be looking for something similar in price, although maybe I could be a little flexible.  To those who read my long post, thanks.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 15
For you I recommend an Alessandro Ms1i.  They have the Grado "house sound" which does rock so well, but are less fatiguing to my ears than the SR60i/80i.  I  don't recommend going any higher up the Grado/Alessandro line as diminishing returns (value for your money) really bites you hard and I find the comfy ear pads of the Ms1i/SR60i/SR80i much more comfortable than the pads you'll get on a MS2i/SR225i and up. I actually can't stand the Grado L pads.
    The SR60i/SR80i/MS1i are great products and will give you 90% of what you would get with the higher-end products. This is of course my opinion and should be treated as such.  You may find you absolutely love the Grado sound and the increases in performance of the higher-end models warrant the cost.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 15
+1 for the Grado! I myself have one and I love it to death for rocks music... It's really the master piece for rocks music in my opinion.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the replies.  Part of what led me away from Grados when I bought the SRH840 was the design.  I have somewhat big ears, and looking at pictures of them, I do not think they would completely cover my ears like the SRH840 do.  Also, there were people on here saying Grados get uncomfortable after about 2 hours, and that they are fatiguing.  Any opinions on these areas?

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the replies.  Part of what led me away from Grados when I bought the SRH840 was the design.  I have somewhat big ears, and looking at pictures of them, I do not think they would completely cover my ears like the SRH840 do.  Also, there were people on here saying Grados get uncomfortable after about 2 hours, and that they are fatiguing.  Any opinions on these areas?

Stretch the headband with your hand... Problem solved :) that's what I did to mine xD

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 15
  Any over-ear recommendations?  I really am not looking for on-ear headphones.

I would say to sell off the FiiO E11 and get the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Not because for a better amplifier, because you not longer need to recharge any batteries.
Get some SRH940 ear pads for the SRH840s.

Hopefully your using Foobar2000 for playing audio files?

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 15

I would say to sell off the FiiO E11 and get the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Not because for a better amplifier, because you not longer need to recharge any batteries.
Get some SRH940 ear pads for the SRH840s.

Hopefully your using Foobar2000 for playing audio files?

I don't care about having to recharge the E11.  Is there any other reason to upgrade to the Magni?  Why do you suggest getting the SRH940 ear pads?  I am using Windows Media Player.  Is there any difference in sound quality?

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 15
  I don't care about having to recharge the E11.  Is there any other reason to upgrade to the Magni?  Why do you suggest getting the SRH940 ear pads?  I am using Windows Media Player.  Is there any difference in sound quality?

Well i think that the Magni amplifier boost a little the high frequencies (However i don't own or listen one, so, is taken from other reviews), and I confirm that the FiiO tends to sound warm (But not so much)

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 15

If you have no problem with recharging the E11, then keeping it is fine.
Otherwise I can't really justify you getting the Magni.
I've heard using SRH940 ear pads on the SRH940 improves the SRH840 audio quality.
I believe Foobar2000 with the WASAPI component, provides a cleaner path for the digital audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back