Possibly another Grado thread.
Nov 11, 2011 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Deathdeisel

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, i have  a bit of a special one for you. Im looking for headphones around the 100$ range, give or take, with a signature tuned for older rock, like 80s rock, some punk rock, and electronic. 

Im buying these as a christmas gift for the girlfriend, whos really never heard good headphones, and i think she needs em. The reason the thread is named as it is, is because i was thinking either the Grado SR60s or 80s would be good, and id be able to mod/customize them, so she knows hers are special, and of course to make them better. However it is unlikely that she will be using an amp, but more likely a ipod touch. 

Opinions? Thanks, DD. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes you are on the righteous path,

They're beyond excellent for her needs. Everything else closed in that price range sounds well 'closed in' :)
with an echo effect which is inescapable with most closed cans under $500.

I recommend you get her a spare set of L-cush bowl pads to boot as this will increase soundstage,
she can decide which pair she likes best ~ flats (stock) or bowls (L-cush)

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 12
I kind of intended to. So you believe that grados for the needs as said above would be good, is it worth buying the 80s over the 60s then? I do plan on modding each of these, to the best of my extent without breaking the bank. (open the drivers, take off the mesh, open the pads, add the felt for resonance control, etc.)

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 12
You'll see for yourself if you decide to buy them and you know other people with any can under $300.

Not much can keep up with the natural presentation of an open Grado with the speed that they
offer up and the unique upper mid range and treble that makes guitar sizzle!

The Grad--mod guys seem to happy with either, probably best to save yourself the
coin and get the 60i's ~ from memory there was little in it, just a bit more treble clarity
perhaps, if you start messing with the housing and change it altogether then there will
be no difference between them as a starting point.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 12
Okay cool, i plan on adding some comfort level to them, and ive seen on higher versions people added beyerdynamic earpads and headpad on them, would this work? Ive heard grados can be a bit uncomfortable. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Okay cool, i plan on adding some comfort level to them, and ive seen on higher versions people added beyerdynamic earpads and headpad on them, would this work? Ive heard grados can be a bit uncomfortable. 

People put with the styling from 1948 and the really basic design that some find uncomfortable
for one very good reason ~ they rock above everything else.

However, this is a deal breaker regardless of the exceptional sound for some people
- Only she will be able to make that call unfortunately 
smile.gif

Yep, the Beyer adaptation is called the C-pad, although I recommend you make
them yourself as the guy who makes them charges $$$$

http://www.headphile.com/page5.html

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 12
oh wow, he really does charge a lot. How hard would it be to make that? On that ill probably wait until she tells me how they feel to decide if i should step down that path. So anyone else care to submit an opinion or reccomendation? 

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 12

Recommend this also, the Beyer Dynamic DT770 headband ($10 or so as a spare)

The pads you see in the picture on these 325i's are Sennheiser HD414 repacement pads (also about $10)

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Yes you are on the righteous path,

They're beyond excellent for her needs. Everything else closed in that price range sounds well 'closed in' :)
with an echo effect which is inescapable with most closed cans under $500.

I recommend you get her a spare set of L-cush bowl pads to boot as this will increase soundstage,
she can decide which pair she likes best ~ flats (stock) or bowls (L-cush)

What is this echo effect you speak of? I haven't heard it in my shure srh840 or sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
What is this echo effect you speak of? I haven't heard it in my shure srh840 or sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

I find that my M50 sounds like a closed cave in comparison to my SR80i 
smile.gif

I admit the M50 is not exactly my preferred can at the moment..

But yes while echo may be something I hear with something like the M50, most closed
cans have a problem with natural representation. The Shure 840 is one of the better ones.

HD25 II sounds very 'in your head' to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back