Possible way to get 24 bit audio out of an android smartphone
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gatorengineer64

Head-Fier
I have been looking for a way to stream 24 bit files to my phones from my DLNA NAS.  I have been using my S4 with an Audio-GD DAC, and to my HE-500s  but it doesnt sound that great, and I believe the S4 is the problem.

I had been looking at getting an OPPO-103 to replace the phone in the chain, but recently discovered it to down converts to 16/44 over everything but HDMI.  There is a device called a de-embedder that extracts the audio stream from HDMI signals and give SPDIF.

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html

This makes me wonder what the droid will due when presented with an HDMI cable, and the phone set to 5.1 output......  Will this bypass the 16.1/44 circuitry in the phone.  Neutron will play 24/192's so it isnt software.....

Anyone try this, or tell me why it wouldnt work?

By the way, I have ordered the gear to try it.  I need the de-embedder anyway if I go the Oppo route.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 2
It sure appears I solved my own problem pretty inexpensively.  It looks like the phone works with USB Audio player Pro 24 bit, and I can use Slick UPNP as a DLNA player that lets me choose the renderer which is USB Audio Player Pro....  so for I think $10 I am there... COOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back