Possible Upgrades from using an Oppo PM-3
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ti84calculatorr

New Head-Fier
Hello! This is my first thread here at Head-fi :D

I have been using an Oppo PM-3 for the past couple of years and it was my first and only pair of "audiophile" headphones. Now, I'm looking for an upgrade with a budget of about $800-$1000. I have been looking at the Focal Radiance, any thoughts?

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Nope, I'm looking for relatively easy-to-drive headphones that I can pair up with my iphone/laptop. I'm on the move a lot so I'm looking for closed backs like the Pm-3

That's a really difficult set of attributes you're looking for. I think you'll be in sidegrade territory from the PM3 if you want portable and using directly out of your phone/laptop. EQ would give you an improvement in FR, but it would be difficult if you're using multiple devices.

I went from the PM3 to the Sundara, but that's because I'm able to use open backs now as I'm working from home full time and wanted more soundstage and other benefits. If I had to stick to closed backs, I'd think about trying a large closed planar as an improvement - but that's neither going to be portable nor usually optimal without an amp.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck!

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree that without an amp you can only go so far without really really breaking the bank (Focal Stelia, 3k)

However!

Perhaps you might be happy with the Focal Elegia, which are on a big sale right now because they’re being discontinued and they seem designed for portable use. 35 ohm impedance 105 db/mW, and a very premium product all around (i’ve never tried but ya know, it looks beautiful!

https://www.headphones.com/products/focal-elegia
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/focal-elegia-closedback-headphones

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 12
I agree that without an amp you can only go so far without really really breaking the bank (Focal Stelia, 3k)

However!

Perhaps you might be happy with the Focal Elegia, which are on a big sale right now because they’re being discontinued and they seem designed for portable use. 35 ohm impedance 105 db/mW, and a very premium product all around (i’ve never tried but ya know, it looks beautiful!

https://www.headphones.com/products/focal-elegia
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/focal-elegia-closedback-headphones

That's not a bad suggestion actually, I know Resolve used/uses these for his portable headphones. I remember looking into these and the only two caveats is the weight (430g - on the heavy side for sure) and the somewhat wonky treble. I think Resolve recommends EQ.

The Radiance has a similar frequency response, being on the dark side. Plus, the price gap is just so huge... but try it out too if you can afford it. It's hard for me to imagine using a $1300 headphone as a portable option as well as unamped, even if the specs are pretty agreeable for this.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 12
I trust whatever Resolve says here, he’s one of the better reviewers i’ve heard. I saw a video where Tyll said he was using pm3 as his mobile pair for travel to a headphone conf. I think. Interesting

For comparison, pm3 weighs 320 g i believe

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 12
That's not a bad suggestion actually, I know Resolve used/uses these for his portable headphones. I remember looking into these and the only two caveats is the weight (430g - on the heavy side for sure) and the somewhat wonky treble. I think Resolve recommends EQ.

The Radiance has a similar frequency response, being on the dark side. Plus, the price gap is just so huge... but try it out too if you can afford it. It's hard for me to imagine using a $1300 headphone as a portable option as well as unamped, even if the specs are pretty agreeable for this.
I ordered the Focal Radiance and it's going to be coming on Christmas day! Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but a lower ohm rating (35 in this case) means that I don't need an amp so why do you recommend using one? Will the amp boost the audio quality significantly? If it does, do you know of any reasonably priced portable amps (Something like Oppo Ha-2se) that would pair well with the Radiance?

Thanks!!

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 12
I ordered the Focal Radiance and it's going to be coming on Christmas day! Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but a lower ohm rating (35 in this case) means that I don't need an amp so why do you recommend using one? Will the amp boost the audio quality significantly? If it does, do you know of any reasonably priced portable amps (Something like Oppo Ha-2se) that would pair well with the Radiance?

Thanks!!

Even with my PM3 I typically used it amped and EQ'd. As far as amping, every review I watched said that they have a small but noticeable benefit. Since I used EQ with my amp on my PC, I can't really confirm this (obviously it did sound better). In the end though, if you notice a sound benefit and are happy with them for your purposes, who cares?

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 12
Nice choice! I think you should be able to really really enjoy these without an amp but amps just make most headphones better somehow. Even if they are loud enough before amping, amps can make the music feel bigger and more immersive somehow at the same volume. Somtimes i prefer music straight from the phone though, it’s weird.

But know this, the impedance value, reported in ohms, is not the only factor for determining the Efficiency of the headphone. Sensitivity, given as db/mW, or as db/V, is another factor. Dont listen to people who just reference the impedance and say it’ll get loud enough to be used on iphone.

if you’re curious, read this
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/...eadphones/#at-what-volume-do-we-really-listen

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Nice choice! I think you should be able to really really enjoy these without an amp but amps just make most headphones better somehow. Even if they are loud enough before amping, amps can make the music feel bigger and more immersive somehow at the same volume. Somtimes i prefer music straight from the phone though, it’s weird.

But know this, the impedance value, reported in ohms, is not the only factor for determining the Efficiency of the headphone. Sensitivity, given as db/mW, or as db/V, is another factor. Dont listen to people who just reference the impedance and say it’ll get loud enough to be used on iphone.

if you’re curious, read this
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/...eadphones/#at-what-volume-do-we-really-listen
Thank you so much for the link and all the advice!

Happy Holidays,
ti84calculatorr

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 12
Even with my PM3 I typically used it amped and EQ'd. As far as amping, every review I watched said that they have a small but noticeable benefit. Since I used EQ with my amp on my PC, I can't really confirm this (obviously it did sound better). In the end though, if you notice a sound benefit and are happy with them for your purposes, who cares?
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my thread :)

Happy holidays,
ti84calculatorr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back