Possible Upgrade choices available, CK10, HD25 i ii, or an Arrow 4G amp?
Jun 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

psgarcha92

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
i was thinking of upgrading my rig, and if i save, i am going to be able to save upto 300 USD in 3 months, at max 4. So basically, i am confused over what to upgrade in my Rig.
at this moment, my rig consists of
Sansa Fuze V2>LOD>Mini^3>RE0s and RE-ZEROs.
my options are, i could upgrade my RE0s to Audio Technica CK10s, or get some HD25 1 ii (which i had removed from the upgrade list because they are inferior to the RE0s). other option i have is to upgrade the amp to an Arrow 4G. i have read that with this little amp, the RE0s reach a whole new level of Musical Nirvana.

So what to upgrade to, Head-fi? help me make up the decision....

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 18
I would go with the CK10 if you like the RE-0 sound. A good rule of thumb seems to be always upgrade the headphones first, equipment-wise.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 18
Yup... Same thing with Home Theater sound.. Speakers first.  

With that said, the nice thing about the arrow amp upgrade is that it is user configurable so it will (in theory) be able to match to future source/head gear upgrades.  

I have an Arrow on pre-order.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 18
Dba02s? Lets look at some comparisons.

But what is closer to RE0s in the two?also, won't amped RE0s, that too with the Headstage Arrow 4G put the dba02s bassless kind of?i read that the Arrow's bass boost gives the RE0s great bass depth.

BTW, down the line, in the future, i do plan to get the CK10s. How would the arrow stack up with the CK10s? If they would sound very good together, then i would want to get an Arrow, amp the RE0s and the ZEROs, enjoy the setup for another 6 months, till that time, i'd have 300USD stacked up again and i'd get the CK10s again.
BTW, the Sansa Fuze>LOD>Arrow>RE0s, all using FLAC, is that hifi?

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Anybody?

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 18
You kinda have a few questions out there... all a bit subjective.

I guess to have specific comparisons you need someone who has tried these combos.  There are quite a few "round-up" type reviews out there for amps and IEMs I would look through those (how I decided on the arrow).

As far as the CK10's with Arrow.. never had that combo But my understanding (hope) is that arrow strong enough to push about any head gear and should be configurable enough to mesh with anything.

Is that combo HI-FI?  Well, its all good portable equipment so you should be in top range of SQ.    But, real HI-FI.. I dunno, I have a 70's  receiver/amp that the brand name is worn off of (Fisher I think) that with my lo-budget Senns blows away very expensive portable units. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 18
Arrow + CK10 is a good combo. In my limited use, Arrow has been good with many of the IEMs I tried.

Common: Bright, fast, analytical, lacking in bass quantity, highlights Treble, not widely available, great with presenting micro-details.

Differences:

1. DBA-02 has a smaller sound stage, but good presentation. CK10 has a wide sound stage and even better placement (especially back to front).
  2. DBA-02 has a compressed dynamic range - which means that it presents many details up front. CK10 is better in this regard.
  3. DBA-02's mids are sweetly colored and more upfront with details. CK10 sounds a little dry, so DBA could be a bit more engaging.
  4. DBA-02 is very lean across (I am not using the word "thin"). CK10 has better texture.
  5. CK10 has a little more extension and presents a better filled bass note, though quantity and impact wise, they are not too different.
  6. DBA's treble is lean, fast, forward, but not with any peaks. CK10 has a 10-12Khz spike.
  7. CK10 has a small and well built with a thick cable. DBA-02's shells are not that great in quality and uses twisted cable.

My suggestion:

See if you can try DBA-02 first. If you end up liking it (very likely), buy it and save up for Arrow 4G.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 18
@esanthosh, u don't have the Arrow anymore or what?
Does any iem above listed have a RE-ZERO like signature? I do not like the Sound of the ZEROs at all. Also, i need the instrument separation the RE0s have. I have noticed that, the Vocals or mids on the ZEROs are more forward than on the 0s, and that imo causes every other instrument sort of mix into each other. While on the 0s, everything sounds separated, and i like that about the 0s.so RE-ZERO like signature is a big no no. Also, would the DBA-02s like the Arrow attached to them?

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Also, i need the instrument separation the RE0s have. I have noticed that, the Vocals or mids on the ZEROs are more forward than on the 0s, and that imo causes every other instrument sort of mix into each other. While on the 0s, everything sounds separated, and i like that about the 0s.

This is exactly why you will like the CK10.  It is like the RE0 only better.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
@esanthosh, u don't have the Arrow anymore or what?

Does any iem above listed have a RE-ZERO like signature? I do not like the Sound of the ZEROs at all. Also, i need the instrument separation the RE0s have. I have noticed that, the Vocals or mids on the ZEROs are more forward than on the 0s, and that imo causes every other instrument sort of mix into each other. While on the 0s, everything sounds separated, and i like that about the 0s.so RE-ZERO like signature is a big no no. Also, would the DBA-02s like the Arrow attached to them?

I still have the Arrow, just that I don't use it very regularly.

Didn't try DBA-02 with Arrow, but I did try it with CK10. Both DBA-02 and CK10 are more like RE0 than RE-ZERO, but better. If you can try out DBA-02 (Does Amarbir have them for audition?), it will be better for you to come to a conclusion which way you want to go - CK10 + Arrow / DBA-02 + Arrow / Just Arrow.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Hey Guys,
i was thinking of upgrading my rig, and if i save, i am going to be able to save upto 300 USD in 3 months, at max 4. So basically, i am confused over what to upgrade in my Rig.
at this moment, my rig consists of
Sansa Fuze V2>LOD>Mini^3>RE0s and RE-ZEROs.
my options are, i could upgrade my RE0s to Audio Technica CK10s, or get some HD25 1 ii (which i had removed from the upgrade list because they are inferior to the RE0s). other option i have is to upgrade the amp to an Arrow 4G. i have read that with this little amp, the RE0s reach a whole new level of Musical Nirvana.

So what to upgrade to, Head-fi? help me make up the decision....

I seriously seriously doubt so. 
blink.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 18
@esanthosh, amarbir does have the DBA02s, but am not in chandigarh at this moment. Basically am going to Manipal for my college, so its not going to be possible for alot of time, for me to audition the DBA02s. But from what u have posted, i just see the CK10s to be superior, even if a tad bit, then why are u recommending the DBA02s more? how do the DBA02s respond to amping? do they get better, compared to how the CK10s get when amped. and, if u can, would u please describe the differences in amped and not amped CK10s?
and hey, its like the CK10s are out of production, so what do ya say should i go for the CK10s first, coz u know who knows if after 6 months i'd be getting them for 300USD or not? the Arrow is going to stay around for a while,  but who knows bout the CK10s, right? and, i'd be using a Sansa Fuze, so it kinda important that the CK10s pair well with that. i have a Mini^3 too, but its kinda bright. it takes the RE-ZEROs to shrieking highs, almost gets untolerable.
And hey, i never got to thank u for the info on the guy who was selling his RE0s, thanks man. Sadly they died and they are on their way to China to get replaced. New RE0s in less than half of what i would have paid, thats coool, thanks.

@JamesMcProgger, a fellow head fier who had both the RE0s and the HD25s told me that. he said that the detail on the RE0s is more than in the HD25s.
Any other suggestion u got guys?
also, anyone of u think i should amp the RE0s first, buying the Arrow, enjoy my setup for another 6 months, save and then get the CK10s?

Regards

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 18
Basically a few reasons why I recommended DBA-02

1. I thought you'd be able to audition
  2. You'd save $100
  3. If Brainwavz B2 turns out to be similar to DBA-02, then both would be available locally and you can go for the one with the lowest price.
  4. CK10 is a little dry in the mids as I mentioned. It's not an IEM where you go for realistic reproduction of music, but it has plenty of other advantages. DBA-02 would sound a bit more natural.
  5. I know you love treble. But, many find the 10-12 Khz spike unbearable. I cannot judge how you'll take to it.

With Arrow, all IEMs gain a bit in clarity, resolution and sound stage. Bass boost is an added bonus. Arrow is not partial to any one IEM. So, both CK10 and DBA-02 would benefit similarly from Arrow.

If I were you, I'd be getting an IEM - CK10 or DBA-02/B2 and add the Arrow 4G later on (you could get a 5G by the time you order). You could even look at the B2 + FiiO E11 bundle in the mean time.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 18
So, basically i should be more afraid of the 10-12kHz spike.
would the DBA02's bass go deep if i use the Arrow with them? would it go deeper than on the CK10s? or  the RE0s?
I really dont think i'd be going with the E11, i wanna get a top notch Amp atleast. Also, do the DBA02s hiss? compared to the ZEROs, or the CK10s/
and whats it about the B2s? they look cool enough to me.
One thing that i have been wondering, are there any fit issues with the CK10s? i read somewhere that they were for people with small ears. for the RE0s, i used to use the medium silicon tips, and with the ZEROs, i use small Bi Flanges, and it doesnt fit well enough into my Left ear.
and the 10-12kHz spike we were talking about, do the CK10s, in any case sound shrieking high, or do the highs get unbearable at any point in the songs?
If i go for the CK10s and dicide they are not for me, are there people here who are looking for CK10s or would i have trouble selling them? DO the CK10s get silky in the whole time frame after burn in? i mean, the mids or the highs? are the highs sharp on the CK10s?

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back