Possible upcoming purchases
Jul 19, 2005 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
My first post to the forum...bear with me.
280smile.gif
I've been lurking around and reading through old posts for a little while now. This is an excellent resource and I'm glad I've found it.

Anyway, in the very near future I will be buying a Cowon iAudio X5L, 30gb. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's. I like these cans quite a bit; isolate well and sound quite good. However, when I get my new player (my first DAP) I would like to have some cans that are smaller and a bit more portable; i.e. not so big.

99% of my listening is to classical music, with a big emphasis on full orchestral music.

I'm not exactly sure what type of can I want to go with yet, but I don't think complete isolation is necessary. I already have the Senns to do that when I want to. Though, sound leakage is a little important I think.

Here are a few cans I've been looking at:

Audio-Technica ATH-EC7
They're pretty much out of my price range right now, but if I came across some cash, how do they sound with classical? Also, what other brands are similar to these earphones, but with a reduced price tag? They look pretty sweet too.

Koss KSC 75
Audio Technica ATH-EQ77
Audio Technica ATH-EM7
How is the sound leakage on these three models? There is a big fan base for the KSC 75s. I've been reading there is a lack of bass on the EM7s. Is it badly deficient? How do the EQ-77s compare? Obviously boomy bass is not important to me, though I don't like it when people say bass isn't important in classical music. Sure it's not rock, but with full orchestral sounds, you need both ends of the spectrum.

AKG K24 or K26
Thoughts?

Audio Technica ATH-FC7
How big are these compared to the Senn HD280s? They seem intriguing to me, but their size might be a deciding factor. I saw some pictures here in an old post, but if anyone has a comment on how they compare to the Senns, that'd be helpful.

Beyerdynamic DT 231
Don't seem quite as portable since they're solid plastic. But, are they quite large? Sound good with classical? The ear pads look very comfortable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Bose Tri-Ports all the way , dude................just kidding
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

I know alot of people like the KSC 75's. I seem to recall people talking about a fair amount of leakage though. I'm sure someone will comment further on that. I have a pair of Radio Shack Pro 35A's, which apparently use the same drivers as the Koss 35's. You can get them on sale for $19.99, and I think the sound is really pretty good. They do leak some, but I don't think it's terrible. Maybe a lot worse if you have them totally cranked. I've read some comments about their '80's look however, so make your own judgement on that.
It doesn't sound like you're looking for IEM's due to not looking for isolation, but if you change your mind I can personally vouch for the Cowon X5L and Shure E4 combination. They really sound nice.............but isolating as all get out.
There has also been some talk about the Sennheiser PXC 250. These are folding, noise cancelling headphones. the noise cancelling feature requires a battery that resides in a holderwhere the two ear cables come together in a "Y". Some complaints about it being cumbersome, but I thought I had read decent reviews of the sound and portability. I think they're around $150.00.
Good luck....and enjoy that X5!

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 4
For portable use I don't think you can go wrong with the KSC-75. The work well if you want to be able to hear some of whats going on around you. They leak sound in as well as out. For closed or isolating phones a lot of people here seem to enjoy the Shure E3, E4. I have had good luck with the Ety ER6 and like the very detailed sound they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back